1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Your Personal Micro Blog(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tdev, Jan 24, 2015.

1. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

With my luck that bot will delete everything I have including my points and I don't have a job that pays well or al all really so that would be a bitch.

2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

I got new fish yesterday
    image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  3. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Nearly took out a guy on my bike. Now when I say bike, I’m not talking motorcycle, or even moped, this is a bicycle. So, I’m cruising up the street at a decent speed, coming off a big uphill, and now I’m gearing up for the downhill. I start turning on the jets, and then this guy starts walking towards the road. I brake, and steer out farther into the street to distance myself from this guy, but before I even do that I slow down to no more than 15, probably more like 10. I figure I can just let the guy cross. So, I keep going pretty slowly, and he steps out into the street, looks both ways, and sees me.

“Ooh!”

Arms flailing, he stumbles back on to the sidewalk. I say “I’m sorry!” and keep going. Kind of an awkward interaction, but at least nobody got hurt.

Poor guy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

5. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I believe I have discovered my new favorite phrase: not even wrong. To paraphrase RationalWiki (great site, do visit), it can be explained thusly:

First, let us look at a statement such as this: 2 + 2 = 4. This statement is not wrong, i.e. evaluating the statement with what are currently held to be valid premises and reasoning will demonstrate it to be true.

Now, here is another statement: 2 + 2 = 22. This statement is wrong, meaning that using valid premises and reasoning, it can be evaluated and shown to be false. 2 + 2 = 4, 22 = 22, 4 - 22 =/= 0, 4 =/= 22, and substituting the original expression in for 4, we find that 2 + 2 =/= 22.

Now, consider this statement:

2 + (glockenspiel / 42) - (homeopathy x quantum) = vaccines cause steel beams

This statement is not even wrong. As the +, -, x, / and = operators are not defined for non-numbers such as "glockenspiel," "homeopathy," "quantum" and "vaccines cause steel beams," there is no way to apply valid reasoning to determine the correctness or incorrectness of this statement. (In fact, there is no valid reasoning whatsoever that could conclude that "vaccines cause steel beams!") This statement indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of numbers, arithmetic, musical instruments and medicine on the part of whoever made it. The premises, reasoning and conclusion are all either invalid or inapplicable.

Another example would be if I solved P=NP... by setting N equal to 1, or P equal to 0.

In closing, "not even wrong" means that "not only is someone not making a valid point in a discussion, but they don't even understand the nature of the discussion itself, or the things that need to be understood in order to participate." (https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong)

That said...

upload_2018-10-17_20-7-59.png

#705 vmlinuz, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Plissken

Plissken
    Expand Collapse

It can be right. But only in Javascript :p

My maths skills are pretty low, but P and NP are class, I don't think you can set them value like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Personally I have never been a huge fan of that side of Logic when applied to human concepts.

To be clear, I don't intend to discredit it as an idea, since it does have it uses. The rules that it introduces (all the modus ponens etc. stuff) can be very useful for academic/computer purposes. However, I don't think it can be rationally applied to much otherwise. Humans don't tend to work that way*, and as a result, neither does human culture/society. Therefore, I don't typically see it as being any more valid than any other form of reasoning.

There is also a sizeable group of people, who use these logical systems to try and prove that some ideology is irrefutably correct because the logic states so. In doing so, they ignore many inconvenient factors, since it is practically impossible to account for all variables. All the while they use other peoples unfamiliarity with the terminology to more or less force them into submission, because its difficult and time consuming to form a response to, never mind mid conversation. Only to then finish it by calling someone some fallacy or another in order to silence them.
    However, I shouldn't really hold that against the idea, because humans tend to find ways to weaponise anything and everything. Despite this, when someone resorts to using it (outside of computers and academic style philosophical puzzles), I immediately find myself questioning why it is they want to go that route, and what their motives are.

I also find it odd that something based around the concept of logic, would choose a name which in common parlance means exactly the opposite. Since when someone states "you're not even wrong", they typically mean that they agree with you, or acknowledge what was said begrudgingly. So to me it seems quite elitist.

But it was certainly interesting to learn about when I was at uni, and it does have its place. One thing I know for certain is that I didn't jump down that rabbit hole beyond what the course required. But if it is something that interests you, there is a whole lot of it to look into.

*I am almost certain that there is logic behind it all (perhaps even to the point that everything is predetermined), but no science is even close to understanding it enough to make logic out of it.

#707 aljowen, Oct 18, 2018
  8. Gamergull

Gamergull
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I'm moving soon, from a townhouse to a 17th floor apartment suite. Pretty anxious and excited.

In BeamNG, I'm going back to adding goodies to my map, Gull Coast. Gonna finish the town's buildings and add traffic scenarios! :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I know perfect solution to that, just get old and you will just not care. Getting trough a day without 'accident' is super and then if 'accident' happens, it is fine too, another day survived, wohoo! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I had no intention of applying it to human concepts, except in the most blatant of cases where people misinterpret good science as applicable to unrelated topics - for instance, shoehorning quantum mechanics in such a way as to support telekinesis or homeopathy, or using evolutionary biology to justify trickle-down economics. Otherwise, I mainly reserve this line of thinking for more purely mathematical or scientific constructs, like my P=NP example (P and NP are sets of math problems, and NP is not N*P, so to say N=1 or P=0 would be invalid and irrelevant to the concepts at hand). Don't worry, I'm not one of those people who goes around DESTROYING people with FACTS and LOGIC 2018 not clickbait.

Also, the term "not even wrong" as used in this manner comes from physicist Wolfgang Pauli, who had a distaste for sloppy proofs. The intonation in which it is said is what distinguishes it from "not wrong."

#710 vmlinuz, Oct 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I got 2 free tickets from work today for Circuit of the Americas for this saturday in Austin, TX. The track is about 30 min from my house. I plan on going at 9am when the gates open and staying till about 5 or so. Bruno Mars is performing at 8pm so I am absolutely making sure I miss that hot garbage and all the traffic associated with it lol I think its mostly qualifying laps and different events, but Ill make sure I take lots of pics. My seat is located at turn 9.

• Like Like x 3
  12. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Trackday?

13. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

F1 Schedule - COTA 10/18

Its the Pirelli US Grand Prix, itll be mostly a day of qualifying and practice races. I am busy sunday which is when the actual race will take place but the schedule above can tell you all about what I will be up to. Planning on getting there around 9 or 10am and leaving around 5 or 6.

14. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

lol i went Axe throwing last nite. I hit so many bullseyes the guy thought I had done it before. I havent ever thrown an axe before. It was a great way to get the aggression out lol

15. MRcrash

MRcrash
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

20181020_121905.jpg 20181020_122243.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

This is going to work well:
    upload_2018-10-20_13-45-41.png

Surprising....
    upload_2018-10-20_13-45-52.png

In theory ETS2 map should be possible to brought to Blender and then to BeamNG, but there seems to be some technical difficulties with it.

It would not lag much, I'm certain of it :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

I mean it's a interesting idea but I am pretty sure it would just melt blender, even if roads where just array's deformed by curves you'd still have 1000's of array's and curves due to how many different road/terrain varieties there are, I remember trying something similar with a 100% mesh map and ended up having weird holes in the mesh when the model started getting really big.
    But yeah i'd bet it would run great in beamng :D

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It probably would work only as base to render height map or something (I still haven't figured out how to render height map in Blender, but really would need to figure that one out), also only part of the map I would think, nothing can load it all I guess :D

However all I get with ETS2 editor is blue editor screen, which should not be really happening, but is, so I could not examine much about that, always something not working.

2km by 2km terrain is pretty much what Blender can do on my computer, 4km by 4km would require 32GB of ram and it would still be really really slow, but I am hoping to upgrade memory to 32GB sometime because I'm often hitting limits of 16GB

If Blender would run on 2080Ti, that would make such large map editing a fast task, kinda funny how powerful GPUs have gotten compared to rest of computers.

Update: Ah, figured it out...
    upload_2018-10-21_7-7-40.png

#718 fufsgfen, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  19. LentrioxV2

LentrioxV2
    Expand Collapse

There is this silver stock Supra nearby my school, but I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to see it sadly.

20. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

My kid gave me this. It says Friends Forever... Like poo and toilet paper... :rolleyes:

Wonder if he's trying to tell me something...? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice