Your real life car crashes and consequences

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Mitki4a, Mar 19, 2014.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

yeah, i don't understand why people can't just follow the rules of the road, i actually also plan on getting a dash cam once i get my own car, so once that happens, ill probably have a link to a youtube channel in my sig if anyone wants to see how cali driver's are (will have two types of video's, just normal driving (so showing everything) and a edited set of video's showing other peoples driving fails)

EDIT:

@Potato, like i just said, i know that there will always be those stupid assholes who just can't listen to a simple stop sign, or other stuff

2. CBJ023

CBJ023
    Expand Collapse

The one in the van is working fine, but as someone who will be buying a manual the second I can it waits soo long to shift. My dad has a 2009 Accord (Around there anyway) it had pretty good power, then people were blowing their transmission so they basically dialed it back so anytime you want to go up 3m.p.h. or more it downshifts to like 3,000rpm it has no power now that they changed the shift points. Rpms are way higher and you accelerate slower, if it was my car I've sold it after they changed it, completely ruined the car.

3. DZachary

DZachary
    Expand Collapse

Yes! fellow Honda prelude driver! Anyways the only close calls I have had is locking up the brakes when I wasn't paying attention and some guy stopped in the middle of the road to turn into his driveway.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Had a minor accident this morning, my fault.
    Roads are a bit damp, going a bit quick because I was late for an appointment at the garage already, felt car beginning to slide a bit, braked and the whole thing span out. Came off the road backwards and got it stuck in a grassy verge.

No cars around to hit (considering I span across the oncoming lane that could have been very bad). Other side of the road has a kerb and a ditch behind that, that would have messed the car up big time, I just went into long grass and mud. I did dent the side skirt and that seems to be the only damage to the car. Its having the wheel alignment checked right now anyway though (but I already suspected this to be out and was planning to get it checked this week regardless).

5. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

My best suggestion for you guys, sell your cars & stay indoors.

- - - Updated - - -

Upload your captures to Youtube & give us a link. I'll be your first subscriber :)

Bad driving videos is a hobby of mine

6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

This is probably a really stupid question, but what's with all these people with newer (post 2000) cars talking about locking up the brakes? Have all you people pulled the fuse on the abs or something? And in my experiences, you can't "trick" abs. It will never let you lock up a wheel, even when there is practically no weight on it.
    My evidence for that: My dad has a 2001 Toyota highland. 4 wheel abs. A few weeks ago, I was gonna pull out into the coul-de-sac so I could get the car into the garage (between the retaining wall and the house there isn't much room to turn around in the drive-way. Anyway, my drive way is a rectangle with a smaller rectangle going off on side to connect to the road. The big rectangle is flat, but the little rectangle that connects to the road is sloped down. Anyway I ended up "having" to slam on the brakes right as the front wheels started down the slope. Even with weight lifted off of the wheels and the kinda gritty-gravely surface, the abs didn't let any wheels lock up. It was really damn loud, though. And it's like it didn't stop. I slammed on the brakes, came to a stop, but when I kinda lifted off the brakes a little to roll down the rest of the way slowly, it kept whining at me until I lifted my foot completely off of the brake. That last part was kind irrelevant, but whatever.
    I don't know why I typed such a story for such a dumb question.

I'd like to get a dashcam when I start driving, to prevent any scams or to use in my favor if I get hit or something. The only thing that bothers me is that I'd be on camera all the time in the car. And anything that happens in front of my car if it's parked and running would be on camera. I would not have audio enabled because I just don't wanna have to always be careful what I say because I'm being recorded. For instance:
    Me and friend are in the car and going somewhere.
    Friend: You were hanging out with --girl-- last night weren't you?
    Me: Yeah, gives friend "that look*
    Friend: OH SHIT!
    Me: Yeah bruh!
    Friend: bet that pu**y was tight!

I may have finally gone too far for the beamng forums.

Anyway, yeah that kinda stuff is what would keep me from getting one.

#66 Potato, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

My car supposedly has it fitted, I can get all 4 wheels to lock though (can feel the pedal shuddering the whole time still though???). I only had the control unit replaced under warranty 2 months ago, might ring vauxhall and demand it to be replaced again considering it clearly isn't doing its job effectively.

Its like its trying to do its job, but isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

My car apparently had the worst alignment the garage seen in a long time. Left wheel had +0.92 degrees of toe, right wheel had -0.52 degrees. Factory should be +0.08 each.

8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Why does the quote say this, I even backed up and your post didn't say this. In my experience you can hear it. Might just be that highlander, but it's loud, You know when it comes on. It's kinda the sound of flexing metal, but usually how it sounds in cartoons and stuff. I'll demonstrate:

I have no idea the confusion of edited and updated posts I'm experiencing with the quotes right now.

#68 Potato, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

What is loud? The tyre squeal yes but if there is meant to be an internal alarm or something the corsa doesn't have one. Either that or its broken.
    A normally functioning ABS unit as it attempts to release the brakes you can feel it kicking back through the brake pedal. I can feel that, yet I can get all 4 wheels to lock on tarmac (even leaving marks on the ground), I really don't understand it.

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Not the wheel lock, the sound of the abs itself. The highlander is the only vehicle I've ever braked hard enough in for the abs to kick in, so it might just be louder than most other vehicles. I think it's the sound of some valves or something opening and closing rapidly. But you couldn't miss it. It's pretty loud.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

No noise at all in my car

12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm. I don't know. I'm not a mechanic. I need to see if there's a noise in my mom's cx-9.

- - - Updated - - -

In the Cx-9 it makes the same noise as the highlander. It's really hard to describe though. After having my mind refreshed of the sound, my impersonation a few posts off is completely wrong. It comes from the wheel(s) that the abs is having to act on. It's like.....I really can not describe it. There might be some youtube videos where you can hear it. I'll look.

13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

It's like.. a thunking noise as the brakes release and brake again

chthunkchthunkchthunkchchchch

14. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I found a video where the abs is pretty audible. Skip to about 25. The kinda repeating thump sound you hear as he's braking is the abs.

Edit: Yeah. Like dalek said.

#74 Potato, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  15. robfather

robfather
    Expand Collapse

Same here. my dad just got a new 2014 Ford Fusion (Mondeo in europe) and he took me out to drive in the snow because i never had. told me to go fast and slam on the brakes so i did. the only sound was the tires and the pedal moving.

I have been in 2 accidents.
    On the way to school one day when we stopped in traffic. My mom drove a early 2000s Honda odyssey at the time. Guy behind us bent over looking for a CD (in a Honda Prelude or similar car) and thought we went forward so he accelerated into the van at about 15-20 mph. Don't know about damage to his car, but the van needed a new bumper and bumper under piece (something on his car like a tow hook or something went through both. While standing outside car 5-6 year old me was looking around and saw a delivery truck driver, distracted by our accident, rear end a '90s ford explorer.
    Second one was my dad backing out of the driveway (in the van) and backed into his own car parked in the street (a 2000 something Volvo s40). Only damage to his car was a white mark and dislodged bumper. the van's back bumper had some weird damage, a vertical crack on the corner.
    This winter, i hit a curb covered up by snow head on. Relatively slow, only damage was scraped underside of bumper. But I wouldn't call that an accident, just thought i would include it.

16. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

No! That's one of the best parts of dashcam videos, peoples conversations are hilarious!
    On this video where a woman pulled out of a parking lot into oncoming traffic nearly having a bad collision with the camera car, the guy in the camcar had his wife in the front seat and this is what was said:
    Him: F@cking stupid woman!
    Her: Yeah, women should stay off the road! We cant drive for sh!t
    I died when she said that.

17. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Welp. Just got in a wreck. Typing this while the adrenalin is still pumping.
    Minor fender bender. No injuries. Minor damage.
    We went out to eat and we were coming back in the cx-9. We were stopped at a red light and when it turned green, traffic started to move. For some reason the line bowed up and we came to a stop again, at a green light. After we came to a stop, something hit us. I was in the back because my sister called shotgun. My dad was driving. It felt like a more serious accident, though. Right after the collision, my sister freaked the fuck out, turned around in the front seat and repeatedly yelled "what happened what happened". Lucky we didn't get hit again because she'd have some seriously bad whiplash. I have kinda prepared myself for this kinda stuff, so after we got hit I just sat back in the seat, with my head on the headrest in case we got hit again. My sister didn't shut the hell up until I said "we just got hit". After I decided it was safe, I turned around to see what hit us. I saw an asian guy probably in his 20s in a gray mazda 3, hitting the steering wheel with his fist and angrily mouthing words to himself. We pulled off into the driveway to a church to exchange insurance details and that kinda stuff. I gotta say, the CX-9 took it like a champ. The only damage was a scratch on the bumper and the power T hitch cover, which, by the looks of it, took the brunt of the hit, was cracked. The other guys car (mazda 3), he had a dent in this hood, and some cracked vents and stuff in the bumper. The hood got pushed back probably a quarter of an inch or so, though. Everyone was super cool about it. My dad has made the mistake of not calling the police in a minor accident before, so he called the pigs. The pigs showed up, wrote a report, and everyone went on their way. The asian guy actually turned out to be a war veteran. I'll post some pics here in a second.
    I have gained some respect for the CX-9.
    And there is a perfect dust outline of a Mazda emblem in the bumper from the other guy's car though. lel

18. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

Let me guess, Kingston Pike?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Step dad still hasn't noticed the crushed side skirt from Monday morning. I tried straightening it out again myself but couldn't. Its £40 for a pair of replacements but I can't be bothered with that, has to be a pair, can't find a single passenger side one in my cars colour and I'd rather have a pair of black ones than one side not matching the rest of the car.

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Ebenezer right near Westland, actually. Not exactly sure what the guy was doing, obviously wasn't paying attention. Because we pulled into the driveway for that church right there, and it was around 7:30, so there we a few people still leaving after the wednesday services, there we a bunch of people asking if everyone was okay. :')

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice