Unsolved Zones and Occlusion?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by EruptionTyphlosion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

I keep seeing these in the official maps and I'm wondering what they do? Does anyone know? I'm wondering if they have anything to do with a rendering bug that I'm having. Thanks! :)

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm bumping a thread as people love it so much...

Anyway, I was looking into these Occlusion Volumes, but not much that I can find about them, but this is what I know:
    -They are used to block rendering whatever is behind them, but whole object must fit behind Occlusion volume, so if object is too big even by a little, it will be rendered, not really usable in WCUSA for that reason.
    -They can cause problems with shadows and also terrain rendering to dissappear and stuff like that.
    -Forest items are not blocked by Occlusion Volumes, only terrain splits and static objects

It is this technique in computer graphics, used to boost performance:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_surface_determination

One kind of problem they can cause:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/map-terrain-glitches.43601/#post-661115

When camera is inside a zone, car and some bits of terrain are not rendered:
    upload_2018-8-29_15-38-34.png

Everything is rendered fine when looking trough the zone, while camera not being inside the zone:
    upload_2018-8-29_15-39-8.png

Occlusion volume then is blocking rendering of object when looking trough it:
    upload_2018-8-29_15-41-9.png

Marcus L explains these nicely at https://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/124138
    Surely I did hope portals would be something from that other game...

So using that, I can make a zone, which inside is a cart and outside is a car, portal inside the zone works opposite of Occlusion volume, so it is my window from the zone to outside world:
    upload_2018-8-29_16-4-35.png

Car is not in window (portal), so it is not rendered:
    upload_2018-8-29_16-5-18.png

Obvious problem is that part of terrain outside zone is not rendered and car's shadow is rendered even it is outside the zone.

Everything inside zone is rendered when looking from outside of the zone and if you place camera inside portal, that is inside zone, it is same as if there would be no zone or portal:
    upload_2018-8-29_16-8-59.png

I'm not sure why shadows are rendered because even object rendering is blocked, maybe it is a bug, maybe @Nadeox1 would know that, but there probably are some caveats using these things and one should be careful when using them as glitches might appear?

#2 fufsgfen, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice