WIP Beta released Beam Mountains 3, Refresh v1

A place of rapid altitude change

1. elliott2001

elliott2001
    Expand Collapse

hi, i try to play the map and i get a gpu not responding error! please help!

2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

3. UnfriendlyHero

UnfriendlyHero
    Expand Collapse

Great job on the map...lots of time invested for sure!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Very nice map but the snow at the top is black

5. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot?

Is this a new bug?

6. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Nope, this is actually the first time for me installing this map.

upload_2017-5-29_19-8-17.png

7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Uhm... I kinda don't have time to fix that this moment... Is it doing this to other people?
    I am working on an update for the map with some added and reworked roads. I will look into this problem.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Check paths on terrain textures and make sure you've got the normals and such in the proper format. Pretty sure you could use sand's reflections/normals with snow if it's not in-game already. It's likely referencing a map you (the creator) has gotten the snow texture from but the person downloading and running it does not have.

There could also be a conflict of versions, old versions from a time or two ago, if you can see no issue with the terrain textures. Check for old versions!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Paths were checked before uploading and the snow worked with alot of other people. I will check the paths again though. And it is common for textures to break between game versions.

10. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

SUPER LONG POST INBOUND. Sorry in advance for users on mobile devices and slow internet :(

I haven't been working with terrains as much lately, as for I am interested more in making vehicle mods right now, but I have some terrain stuff, and as you read the post you might like what I have in store for the community :)

I am going to be releasing a major update to this map here in a week or so, and I thought I would show you guys the changes I've made since earlier this year.

As far as I can tell the map is working mostly ok for most people, aside from some users having issues with the snow. I think I will have the snow issues sorted out, and also the dirt will no longer be the sand ground model here in the next update.

To start with, I rerouted quite a few roads on the north side of the mountain. I wasn't quite happy with the way I had the map at release;

I will be referring to north side and south side in this post. Its probably not accurate by in game means, but I never check that so here is a screenshot. Up is north, Down is south, and I think most of you know what east and west are :p
    screenshot_00961.png

Most of the changes are on the north side, with all the back roads. The biggest change of all is the rerouting of the main road. I do not have any screenshots to compare before and after, but its a much different route now. Love it or hate it I made this change back in March, so its been a bit too long for me to revert anything here :p Grades were changed to make it easier on some cars to climb the hills.

screenshot_00963.png screenshot_00962.png
    screenshot_00967.png

Here at the lower pass, I did another rerouting.

screenshot_00965.png screenshot_00966.png

I do plan on converting pretty much all of the roads Ouerbacker smoothed out in 2015 to roads aligned to a MeshRoad before uploading the update.
    I will try to preserve the rest of the insanity that is the south side of the map, however a few hills and curves need to be rebanked and re-graded, as for they were crappy due to technical limitations of how the roads were done in the first place.
    Thats about it in terms of major changes right now.
    Post your opinions below, and I can try to work them in through the week, before I upload the update.

I also have a slew of other maps I want to show off here quickly. Throughout the rest of the year I plan on releasing maps, aswell as more vehicle mods.

The first one up is code-name test mines. I will keep the actual name hidden until its eventual release day.

screenshot_00968.png screenshot_00970.png screenshot_00969.png screenshot_00971.png

This is a 4096x4096 map that I made earlier this year. The heightmap was a total accident in L3DT, a byproduct of trying to create a canyon in a mountain range artificially. I liked the result anyway, and quickly made it into a map.

Its more of a track than Beam Mountains is, so its perfect for testing your hillclimbers or your track beasts on something that's a little bigger than Hirochi Speedway. Its also way bigger than the track in the upcoming West Coast USA map.

Aesthetics wise, the elevation change is rather gradual with most of the drastic points of elevation change being in the middle. There are 2 separate ranges in the middle, separated by a narrow valley.

I think it could see release in October sometime, possibly sooner.

screenshot_00960.png

Next up is another 4096x4096 map. Right now it has no name, and is really early in its development.

All I can say is that I plan to have it done in December, and with my new skills with Blender, I hope to create some new custom assets for it, just like Beam mountains has some custom made assets I made in sketchup ages ago.

While you don't have any glaring peaks by themselves, you do have a ton of them, leading to the illusion that the elevation change is shorter than it really is. You have 512 meters of elevation change, the same as between the bottom and the top of test mines.

This one and the one below will get their own thread before release day, and then I will have more pics.

Lastly for this post, is the big one. I actually have 2 of these big baddies, but the one I want to post shots of now is the more complete of the 2.

Code named mountain highway, its an enormous 8192x8192 heightmap, with 1,024 meters of elevation change. There is one major peak in the range, with various roads surrounding it.

screenshot_00972.png screenshot_00973.png

I will be making a thread for this one here in a few hours to cover the rest of the development on it, so keep an eye out for that, as for I will be going into detail there.

These super huge maps may never make it to release, since they are a true pain to back up, and they risk crashing some systems, as you are going to find out soon when I talk about the other big map in the thread for them.

Well, that's all for now. Sorry for the lack of posts on my terrain projects, again I am working on several vehicle mods right now, with one of them being the Blue Collar series. Consider it a teaser as to what your holiday presents are going to look like ;)

Happy driving, and I hope to see you over in the new thread here in a few hours :)

11. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Alright I got the last of the changes I wanted to make to Beam Mountains done today I think... I re-routed the road next to the long tunnel so that its more of a direct run down instead of the windy mess that it was before. This also in the process fixed a few issues with banking in the curves, thus making it an improvement in my eyes.

The next change was making a few roads a bit narrower. Minor change, you probably won't notice it in most places.

The last change was re-banking one of the curves just before the major road cut. I honestly don't feel like working much more on this map, because I have other projects that are much better in my eyes. Some areas are going to be a bit rough looking, and not as good as they could be, but I really want to get this map done and over with.

I am going to fix the snow material, change the ground model on the dirt, and send it off to a bud to test it. Update should be uploaded after that, sometime in the middle of the week, and hopefully reviewed before the weekend.

If there is anything else that is going wrong with this map, please let me know. I need to know in order to fix it.

12. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Driv3r1142 updated Beam Mountains with a new update entry:

Route updates and ground model changes

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. MillenniumJade™

MillenniumJade™
    Expand Collapse

Is this support 0.10?

14. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

It should work in 0.10.

I did a few ground model changes, and rerouting, that's all.

15. MillenniumJade™

MillenniumJade™
    Expand Collapse

Is this map need 8GB RAM?

16. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

No, it shouldn't require 8GB of ram.

17. DutchyGamer

DutchyGamer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, this is completely fine. (further down the road its covered with trees and eventually a messed up tunnel with a cliff)
    20170926151811_1.jpg Near spawn
    --- Post updated ---
    Did a vid

Attached Files:

18. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Did you clear your cache and do a fresh reinstall? It seems fine for other users...

Hmm let me check some things on my end....
    --- Post updated ---
    I am going to clear my files and try a fresh install. If this shows up then it must be something to do with when BeamNG did the terrain changes in 0.9 :/

That shouldn't be doing that. Its keeping the old terrain stuff and not using new terrain data. I thought I kept the current data in the folder but I guess not.

Ugh another headache :/
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok the map's loading correctly on my end. Fresh install of the version I uploaded to the mods page.

I suggest removing any old versions you might have, clearing cache, and doing a fresh install.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MillenniumJade™

MillenniumJade™
    Expand Collapse

Is this suitable for hillclimb?

20. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Potentially, yes.

And Are you Russian?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice