WIP BMW e61 touring

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Mitki4a, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Started something like frame but I'm not so sure how it will look like when it's finished :p
    e61(2).jpg

2. Nesano

Nesano
    Expand Collapse

Nice car. I'll be sure to check back once it's done.

3. Summerfriend

Summerfriend
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't do panel gaps, I'd just bevel them out with normal maps. Like in the workflow post.

Also, I can't really help you with the suspension question, I haven't gotten as far as putting anything in the game yet, only modelling stuff.

4. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Sadly I can't find the solution of my exporting problem:(
    If no one can't tell me how to export the mesh to beamng I will have to abandon this project:(
    See my ".dae exporting problem" thread for more info.

5. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

6. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

The car model itself is coming along great I think:p
    Here is my progress on the frame 'till now:
    e61_frame.jpg
    e61_frame_2.jpg
    This will be very cool in game if I manage to solve that problem and make all jbeam stuff:D

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
    e61_frame.jpg
    e61_frame_2.jpg
    e61_frame_3.jpg
    What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

I've made some wheels and other fixes.
    Here is the 3d view:
    https://sketchfab.com/show/d48fd3a1bd9c417c91e09d3a72b4e7ef
    :cool:

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The main thing I notice (and Nadeox1 makes this mistake too) is that the corners of your pillars miss the big rounded reinforcement like this:

(imported from here)

8. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

9. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Problem solved!I managed to export it with a help of gabester and Elvisnake
    Pictures:
    first_ingame.jpg

ingame2.jpg

ingame3.jpg
    :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a problem again.When I import the .dae for the first time is it OK.
    But After that it creates "e60_touring(2).cached.dts" in the folder and when I import it after that the whole car becomes orange.If I delete the .dts file it becomes white again.How can I stop it making that file?

10. Elvisnake

Elvisnake
    Expand Collapse

The game put your file in the cache and loose the path of your material during this operation. You must take the file and write in the path of the material you use or in the world editor edit the material. But don't be occuped by this cause you 'll have not this probleme when you will make your bmw as a car. I am at the same point, finish you meshes first, after you will begin the textures stuff and n/b.

11. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how to edit the material or write the path.For now I'm making the suspension parts and the engine.Thank you for the advice:)

12. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting school right now so don't expect big progress.Modeling the suspension takes time so please be patient:)

13. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Don't worry this project is not dead:)
    I just don't have much time to stay on the pc, because I have to study hard this year.
    This is the progress until now:
    e61.jpg
    Suspension.jpg
    Suspension_2.jpg
    Suspension_3.jpg
    Started the engine block and the front susp.
    This is my first suspension I model so it isn't perfect.
    Share your ideas about it...

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the 3D view:
    https://sketchfab.com/show/f11f5683f7d84389a89ef3398848e684

14. Elvisnake

Elvisnake
    Expand Collapse

You need to see on the real car all the pieces the suspension need. It is a complexe multi links liaison at the rear and the front. These pictures will help you to understand how it's made:

miAVSsjr0Yg1UUkUV6VPEFg.jpg 216.png B0F785E5-41B2-457B-A16D-145DFC1D2105-10916-00001F70677A63A4_zps4eb95359.jpg 50172d1192714872-photos-story-autobahn-crash-no-more-alpine-white-e61-m5-touring-sony-camera-200.jpg BMW-Part-2.jpg 142.png 4.png

Your modelisation is too much aproximative, you need reduce and good size the spring etc.

Hope this mess help you.

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Gabe's blog post on vehicle workflow mentions polygon density, and the areas which should be modelled in high and low poly, with suspension being the latter. He also writes about consistency. If you're modelling a-arms in low poly, just about everything that connects to it should also be low poly. I'm looking at your model, and there are some absurdly high poly parts running through a low poly part. Take a look at the image below.

Compare the springs. Yours looks to have >15 sides, whereas mine has 6, while achieving a similar appearance. That pin running through your a-arm? Holy mother of jesus, that thing has 203597 sides. You get the point.

You should also study how each component in the suspension works, so you have a better grasp on how it should be modelled. I found this YouTube channel to be especially helpful. Also, dissect Gabe's cars and see how he's modelled each part. The suspension I modelled is based roughly on the Bolide's, and a scale F40 I had lying around.

(imported from here)

16. aman1127

aman1127
    Expand Collapse

I'm running a gtx680 and I have no idea how it's possible to make things more complex but running more than one vehicle at a time and have smooth frame rates. Man if we can do a 10 car demo derby and SMOOTH.....man I can wait for the final product. Maybe running a gtx 980 by that time

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

17. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit a more coherent sentence than that. I have no idea how your post is relevant to this thread, but I'll bite.
    The 680 is a relatively old, but still competitive card. If you can't spawn more than one vehicle and maintain a decent framerate, your CPU may be too weak.

18. aman1127

aman1127
    Expand Collapse

Sorry just a random thought with all of this modelling talk. I can't wait to see this bimmer on the test track. This community rules

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

19. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your critics!Maybe i love to make high poly models, but i will reduce the polygon count especially on the spring.Thank you for the pictures i will try to make the suspension similar to the real thing so stay tuned:)

20. Mitki4a

Mitki4a
    Expand Collapse

Here are some fresh new renders:
    bimmer_render.jpg
    bimmer_render2.jpg
    bimmer_render3.jpg
    Share your ideas and suggestions about it:)

P.S.Updated first post to show you the progress in real time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice