1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Clean Driving and Racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B. Tanner, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Made something you all might enjoy. It's a Hirochi Raceway Track Guide with full lap commentary on all three official scenarios detailing what I'm doing to achieve my laps. As always, my pedal/steering telemetry and G-forces are onscreen as well.

Hirochi Raceway Short Circuit: 1'23.942
    Hirochi Raceway Full Circuit: 1'56.729
    Forgotten Raceway: 2'05.798

• Like Like x 9
  2. DeathxSeller

DeathxSeller
    Expand Collapse

Well, I´m currently working on some kind of Rally competition series. With it´s own teams and cars, with budget and all that stuff. There are some channels doing something similar with Formula1 games but I think BeamNG is way better for stuff like that, where you can get better results for videos of that type. I´m trying to make it as realistic and as close as possible to Rally or in general to Racing. I have the same opinion that there are too many crashes complications videos and the gameplay videos are mostly unedited and boring, that´s why I´m working hard on this project. I think BeamNG is a really good game for not only crashes but like you say, for Races and Rallies. With some cool shots and lots of editing I´ll be able to get really interesting and tense rally videos. I ´ll post the videos on the forum as soon as I´m done with the first Rally and I hope you check it out!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Projekt535

Projekt535
    Expand Collapse

Here's a couple of short clips I've made. Sorry for the artifacts, Nvidia Shadowplay had some trouble capturing for some reason.

ETK I Series drift in Utah. Took me a while to get a setup I liked and get through this corner. Could have exited a little cleaner, but I was happy with it.

ETK I Series around Road Atlanta. Not my best driving, still trying to find the perfect settings on the controller.

Segaiolo Automobili TS67 around Lime Rock Park. 1 quick lap, did a little better keeping the car straight on this one haha.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Alright, made a video about stunt driving instead of racing that still fits the mood of this thread really well. It's focused on driving on two wheels, AKA skiing, AKA side wheelies.

If @Goosah is around, just wanted to ask, are there any sort of quirks with the current tire or suspension physics as of 0.6.1 that would prevent cars from balancing cleanly on two wheels at higher angles such as too low max tire pressures? Did my best to capture some good slow motion angles of the chassis and tires at those higher angles.

Gfycat Video - Click to Play - Direct Link

It feels amazing up to around 45 degrees, but as I try and go any higher than that to get it into a stable balancing position in a straight line or for turning towards the ground wheels, it feels like the suspension starts bucking and the cars start trying to slip off the sidewall onto the rims excessively easily. I'm no two wheel master though, so I can only go by real life stunt driving resources and videos, and @DiscoQuinn's impressive two+ minute ski in an old thread. I'll go ahead and put links for a bunch of those articles and videos in a spoiler box if anyone's interested. There's a lot of cool history to the stunt.

Also did a couple other clean racing clips I'll post. I drove the Bolide 390 GTR Scuderia around Hirochi Raceway at Dusk:

And I drove the T65 Racing Truck mod around the Autocross scenario.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

That may be because sides of the wheels aren't colideable yet, so you have grip until "bottom" part of wheel touch ground, when you lean over 45 deg, you're balancing more on the side of tire, but it don't colide with ground so it also don't produce grip, "bottom" part that have contact became small and you loose almost all grip, look at suspension work when you're like 50deg suspension have enough power to decompress, because there's not enough grip and it just slides.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Ah, so you're saying as it tips over to the sidewall, you aren't actually able to drive on that part of the tire but rather only the very thin edge of the bottom of the tire? I could see how that would cause the cars to have issues gripping the road and balancing past that edge then.

7. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Just something...

A bit of rally, downhill and drifting. Irohazaka part 2 will never come :/
    I hope you all have a good day:)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Have been branching out a bit more with my content, but still keeping at it with clean racing footage. Many of them are on mod maps this time, including a Showdown Series minisode.

Also did one of my first drifting focused videos, which also counts as a bit of a stunt. Slight taps but no damage.

My extreme stunt compilation is probably rougher on the cars than intended for a thread like this, but a few of the stunts still came out fairly clean.
    (Stupid crooked landing.)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Crimsonal

Crimsonal
    Expand Collapse

I rarely do crashes and do a lot of heavy hauling.

10. j2305432

j2305432
    Expand Collapse

The last Pessima jump is neat!

11. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Made some controller showcase videos so people could see the differences between a G27 wheel, mouse steering (technically trackball), keyboard only, and an Xbox 360 controller, as well as how they affect lap times.

Also managed a clean run with a Rock Band guitar controller in response to a joke request on Reddit.

And a couple rally scenarios.

#111 Spec Racer Z, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

3 Laps (As well as a "pitting" lap) on Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a convertible Hirochi SBR4.

Out of 2 tries, this was the second one (The first one broke because I poked the rear with a spoo- I mean I bumped into a wall.)

Strange stuff:

If you noticed the damage indicator, you'll see that the rear gradually gets damaged for no reason, as well as the damn trunk exploding open. Wind is strong, my brosters.

13. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

6 Laps around Agassiz Speedway. Just that.

Video does stutter, because my CPU is slightly poo. My GPU however, is the other way around.

14. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Alright, TripleAye and I decided to see if replay files could be shared and opened by other computers, and it turned out they could. He had also recorded it so I could get the audio too. So, I did a quick collaboration project of recording his replay cinematically, then because I couldn't find good examples of royalty free Eurobeat backing music, I decided to start composing my own. The result:

We also discussed a possible way that people with slower computers could make a video like that by recording the audio in Audacity and the replay in BeamNG, then sending both of those files to someone with a powerful computer to record and edit together for a similar result to that video above. I'm going to make a thread with this concept focused on possible world record scenario times, as a community project of archiving the best times and drivers in BeamNG for those who don't quite have a good enough computer to produce watchable recordings (me being one of those people for a while). Edit: Thread can be found here: http://www.beamng.com/threads/commu...rld-record-replay-archives.31246/#post-457269

Besides that, also have my Driver's Training walkthrough and the 0.7 update scenarios.

#114 Spec Racer Z, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Dunkleosteus

Dunkleosteus
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Gonna upload a video of my weird rally track in Industrial Site sometime today.. Probably is going to be a while, considering I have successfully crashed 5+ times on the first and second turns.

16. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

I don't want this thread to die (even though it already did) so i guess i'm reviving it. People need to see how realistic Beam can be other than just goofy crashes.

so here is a rally video. done with a gamepad, pretty short, and i locked the brakes way too much. but i am not good with a gamepad anyway. and i used this as a test for using OBS so the quality and everything is messed up. too lazy to do anything to it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

And a oval track. This time with my wheel. Still VERY bad quality, but at least it has sound now :p

Will record a better video later.

#117 Dealercrash, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  18. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

I'd definitely like to see this thread come back as well. Quite a bit has happened that'd fit in here since it's last had any activity. I've got my wheelcam stuff from the first BeamNG Rally Championship that'd probably be appreciated here.

I'll link the playlists for my BRC2 and BRC3 runs to avoid cluttering the thread, as I did these with a controller. Since the league requires video submissions you can view just about everyone's runs in each season's respective threads. Someone made a splitscreen of the four best runs for stage 1 of BRC3 which is pretty neat.

Moving on from the league stuff (feel free to join the next one!), I made a retrospective video of Small Island rallying in version 0.3, 0.3.7.7 and 0.8, showing some clean driving from 2013 to 2017.

Also got a bit of drifting footage from when you could change cars in the Driver's Training campaign.

I still embed all of my best scenario times in a personal records thread which includes all of the version 0.9 scenarios, though haven't really posted any improvements on my old stuff in a while because I'd prefer to direct my recorded efforts towards more timeless projects and wait for leaderboards on the best time attempts.

PS, @Dealercrash let me know if you'd like pictures or a short video of my OBS settings. Might have to change some things to match your PC specs but I'm willing to help.

Edit: Oh, and a really nice racing technique resource that I don't think showed up in the thread/opening post. Skip Barber Going Faster.

#118 Spec Racer Z, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dealercrash

Dealercrash
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that would be awesome, I just messed around until I got it to at least show up the game i'm playing so its not pretty.

20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

And you did all the drifting with no parking brake. Nice, man!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice