1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Damaged Part Listing (you will see, just click here)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Kitteh5, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

So, here is my idea. It will be a little long-winded. Ok, here we go.

Just imaging if you crash into anything with a random car. And I just press Shift and right-click a damaged body panel.
    Then a list shows up of every part of the vehicle that was damaged or bent or broken. This means that it will show that if my engine block is compressed, for example, it will show up in the list. And if you Shift+R click the thing you crashed into, it will show a percentage and a if the case, a irrational decimal. (I am learning this in math class.) Good idea? If so please like, comment, subscribe, and follow. Thank you.

2. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't ever represent anything as an irrational decimal, if you want high precision you should use a fraction. The idea on a whole seems ok, it'd help if we get the feature to repair a car ourselves.

3. Treevus

Treevus
    Expand Collapse

A menu to fix the car part-by-part would be very interesting, especially if you didn't want everything to magically fix itself. It would also add to the realism since you can't fix a car all at once in real life. Then you could have another keyboard shortcut to fix the car all at once, which I'm sure BeamNG already has.

4. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

There's this topic very similar to this one (I'm not saying you should've posted [& in effect, bumped] that topic, just giving it so you might see their ideas & opinions).
    I think there was some other topic too, in which I posted, but I can't find that weirdly :confused:

Anyway, I agree with this idea, & hopefully it will be implemented.
    I read somewhere that (in career mode) when your car gets damaged, for eg. your right front door is bent, you can choose to buy a new (more expensive, ofc) one or a old/used one (less expensive, but might have visual defects / be more fragile). I think it might have been posted by gabester?? I'm not sure ...

5. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't mind text, in say the top left hand corner saying messages like Fuel leak or Engine fire after a crash similar to games like IL2 Sturmovik.

6. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

Is your first name Kevin?

7. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

No... Why?

8. Dr.Bullshit

Dr.Bullshit
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a BeamNG expert by any means, so I might be wrong!

As far as I understand, there's always a bit of tension on the beams and nodes (because of the weight), so wouldn't the system indicate that all the parts are broken or damaged all the time, eventhough it hasn't even been touched?

I like the suggestion, but I think that putting it into reality will be hard, maybe too hard.

9. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Tension does not mean it's broken or deformed.
    When it's broken the beam stops exerting a force back, when it's deformed the strength(stiffness), possibly damping and the length are changed, if everything is ok then the length can be anything as long as the beam is still working as it originally was. Think of a rubber band, it stretches, but if you stretch it too much it will snap and not work like before, well.. not work at all. Same with metal, it's quite elastic and will rather bend than snap but it will stay in that position.

10. Dr.Bullshit

Dr.Bullshit
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but I'm talking about the computer kind of metal.

I meant that the programme might think it's broken, eventhough it isn't.

11. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

The way Beam works, or appears to work is kind of like a very approximated simulation of a hypothetical material. You have kind of a simulation of stress and strain happening. As you apply stress you get deformation(strain) on the beam. Below a threshold the deformation is elastic, where the material acts like a spring. So you can compress or stretch it and it will return to it's original shape. After a certain threshold of deformation you get beyond the yield strength of the material, or beam, and find the material is undergoing plastic deformation. I don't know if the beam would show work hardening like a sample of metal would but when you cross this threshold the plastic deformation is permanent.

Look up a few things,

Young's Modulus
    Yield Strength
    Hooke's law

it's entry level material physics, should be a fairly interesting read :p

There should be another half to this, and this is that I think beams might actually be what's called a harmonic oscillator, look them up in context of a Spring/mass system :)

12. 0xsergy

0xsergy
    Expand Collapse

It's likely that it's built like RoR where you manually set how much force it takes on a certain beam to deform it permanently/break it. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have different vehicles crumple in different ways. ;D

13. Dr.Bullshit

Dr.Bullshit
    Expand Collapse

I think you guys didnt completly understood what I meant..

I meant with my first post that I thought it would be impossible for a programme to "read" which parts are broken because of the tension and stress on those parts.

But thanks for the information anyway! ;)

14. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Well no.

The beams have a state(normal, deformed, broken), and they carry that state around, otherwise they would always be broken or never broken.
    If you're talking about the actual parts of a car, such as a door: there are groups for parts like this, and you could calculate how many of the door beams are deformed and broken to see if the part is broken, yet it would be theoretical, I say that because a computer does not understand when a part is broken, only when the beam is: there could be a perfect cut through the car which would only look like 5% damage, but the car would be destroyed...

15. Dr.Bullshit

Dr.Bullshit
    Expand Collapse

Aaaaand you understand what I'm on about. :)

16. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

I guess you could calculate how many beams are deformed and broken, it would be ok in most cases, but in extreme cases it would be useless; such as a car cut in half like I said.

17. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

That reminds me, alot of times I see cars with horrible flexbodies in RoR (well atleast they have flexbodies -_-) crash and have the front deformed to look like someone took a freaking tire shredder to it. and the tires stay intact.
    YAY FOR LOGIC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice