1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

EXPERIMENTAL: Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Leeloo, Sep 20, 2023.

1. TalksWithNoise

TalksWithNoise
    Expand Collapse

Suggestion for VR controls:
    Instead of using controllers it’d be great to have the ability to look at nearby intractable objects. For example, players could look at their door hinge and if it’s close enough and centered (maybe highlights), they can click their bound select button to interact. It’s difficult to feel around for a controller with a headset on and I don’t toggle items enough in-game to justify battery usage.
    I usually exit VR, reach for my keyboard, and select objects as a result.

Slightly different topic:
    The mouse cursor matches up for the UI im VR but doesn’t alighn with object selections in Beam. Trying to click a switch with a mouse is very difficult as you typically have to aim in the cursor in a different area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. enouqh

enouqh
    Expand Collapse

I hope that in the next update there will be an option to enable the OpenXR Toolkit :rolleyes:

3. talkingerbil

talkingerbil
    Expand Collapse

Question for devs: Are you doing your own head position projections at each sim time step? Or do you rely entirely on the HMD driver?

4. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

We are not responsible for (or able to) make OpenXR Toolkit work... last I spoke with its author, he had already fixed the crash that OXR Toolkit used to suffer in old versions,. So if that's your complaint, try updating OXR Toolkit first, the bug should be gone in its newest versions. If that's not your complaint, please be more specific, as I'm out of the loop about that software.

5. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Our sim time step is 0.5ms (2000Hz), we don't run the graphics pipeline at 2KHz. We run it a graphics time step instead.

Aside from that, I don't know what you mean by "position projections". Do you mean position predictions? If so, that's completely out of our hands to do, it's always handled by the OpenXR runtime/drivers, you feed them the estimated future render time, it provides back the estimated pose of whichever element you want (head, hands, etc). We don't mess with the predictions, we merely render them.

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

That's a good suggestion, added to my ToDo list.
    Yes, it's a known issue. No ETA for a fix though I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  7. talkingerbil

talkingerbil
    Expand Collapse

Yes. It came up in a discussion with a dev of one of the big flight sims. He claimed he had been tasked with implementing position predictions into their code and that it would improve frame rate because of how the sim was interacting with XR. He explained that the XR driver is also waiting for the sim to provide head position information. It wasn't entirely clear then and I don't get why that would be the case. Was just curious.

I ask because I'm running Monado (thank you for putting in the calls for the Vk posix sync primitives, by the way). The head tracking algorithm for my HMD is still very much in development and has some glitchy and jumpy behavior. Beam seems to be a much more smooth experience than the flight sim I use and I was hunting for reasons why that might be. Other than the above question, I can only think of sim FPS as a reason why.

8. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

No idea to be honest. All VR-related stuff is run at graphics framerate (so often this is 45fps or 90, or 120 or whatever). Our high-res physics 2KHz engine has nothing to do with VR, so that's not a factor. We never try to do any prediction ourselves, we just query OpenXR for predictions and use its reply as-is.

9. DriftApprentice

DriftApprentice
    Expand Collapse

Most likely won't happen as OpenXR Toolkit does not support Vulkan.

From their wiki page:
    "OpenXR Toolkit does not support Vulkan applications, regardless of graphics cards."

10. enouqh

enouqh
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I didn't know about that.
    I'm left with changing the FOV Multiplier in Oculus Tray Tool. Setting it to 0.6;0.6 gives a nice FPS boost in VR, but that black border is terrible.

11. Tashy26

Tashy26
    Expand Collapse

this has probably been mentioned at some point but i don't really want to scroll through 30 pages to check, I'm using an original HTC vive with steamvr and when i follow all the steps, launch the game in vulkan, load into a map, press ctrl+num0 etc it opens the dialogue about the instability, i acknowledge that and it does nothing, if i try to enable vr through the menu it simply says to check that the headset is connected properly, I've tried a bunch of times and it still won't work

12. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

There's no known issues related to HTC Vive. I suggest you check the generic advice provided here. If that doesn't solve your problem, please paste a support ID number so I can take a further look.

13. gotzl

gotzl
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up on issues with VR on Linux, using Valve Index, SteamVR 2.5.5.

AFAIU, in the past there was a hack introduced to allow OpenXR to be loaded under proton, and it was noted that "the correct bugfix appears to be ... implemented for v0.32, which is to load the vulkan extension" (see also this comment). So the hack should not be required anymore. However, with v0.32.1 of the game and proton8 or proton9, I still get the described issue, see attached beamng.log.

With the Linux-native version things get a bit further, but the game freezes and I've to kill it, see attached beamnglinux.log. I can provide a coredump, not sure if it's safe to post it here, though. It seems to be stuck in `libvulkan_radeon.so`, so might actually point to mesa... (Can't be more precise atm since I can't get SteamVR to open with mesa compiled with debug...) Also, since I'm on unsupported distro (gentoo), I would understand if you would ignore this message.

Thank you for the great game!

Attached Files:

#593 gotzl, May 15, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024
  14. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

According to the logs, your Vulkan drivers do NOT support the VK_WINE_openxr_device_extensions vulkan device extension, however the OpenXR runtime is demanding that exact extension to be present. This means nothing we can do on our side as far as I'm aware: if your drivers don't offer the extension that openxr needs, you'll need to check why that's happening in your linux install and address the problem. For example maybe you need to update gpu drivers, or wine, etc. That said, I have never tried VR on Linux, so I have zero experience there. Please feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding something here.

If the top of the callstack is in libvulkan_radeon.so, then this sounds like a bug in the drivers indeed.
    If the top of the callstack was somewhere in the VR/OpenXR drivers, then this might be related to a bug we recently identified in our OpenXR implementation, and which will be fixed soon in the v0.32.2 hotfix (no ETA for its release). I guess you can wait and see if that new version helps with this crash, though I doubt it.

15. gotzl

gotzl
    Expand Collapse

VK_WINE_openxr_device_extensions is not part of the spec. It seems to be some kind of contract between wineopenxr and winevulkan.
    If start eg ACC (via proton) in VR mode, I see VK_WINE_openxr_device_extensions in "Enabled device extensions" (a listing from dxvk). Not sure how this is getting there ^^
    Anyways, I agree, nothing you can do for now. Maybe I'm able to figure out how this is supposed to work ...

16. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I could delete the safety check, and let the simulator go ahead and try to initialize openxr anyway (despite the missing extension), but this typically leads to nullpointer crashes and similar stuff, which is not nice for end-users, so I'd rather keep things as-is, and early-out of the initialization as a precaution to avoid crashes.

17. gotzl

gotzl
    Expand Collapse

Jea, deleting the check w/o understanding what's going on is not good ;) I also think that I might have an idea how this issue can be solved on proton (or rather wineopenxr) side. I'll report back when I have s.t.

EDIT: I have created a Proton ticket with a proposed fix (#7737), let's see what the experts think.

#597 gotzl, May 16, 2024
    Last edited: May 17, 2024
  18. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

Maybe at some point in walking mode you can map walking movement to joysticks that way you can walk around in VR mode without having to use the keyboard. Just an idea.

19. Emil88

Emil88
    Expand Collapse

Hey anybody else having problems after the latest update with shadows? If I have shadows turned on at all then the game crashes to desktop before I can even load into the map and switch on VR. If I use the non vulkan renderer then shadows on will work fine but under vulkan if I have any of the shadow options turned on it just crashes.

20. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

You cannot use a non-vulkan renderer with VR, which means your observation is unrelated to VR but to related to Vulkan renderer.

If your problem is indeed related to Vulkan, please report in the official Vulkan thread instead, where the devs working on vulkan will see it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice