General discussion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car crusher, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome.

Anyways, has anybody on here heard of a "self-improvement channel" called Improvement Pill? I swear, this guy is bossy beyond belief. He has a clickbait like video called "You need to be doing this everyday" or some bs like that. It's basically about how you should be creating more instead of consuming more or something like that. The video below is really stupid in my opinion. It's basically saying that 63% of young adults or people like that wanna start a business, so Improvement Pill assumes that 63% of these people should not be going to college.

Just because people wanna start a business doesn't mean 63% of them shouldn't go to college. What if these people that wanna start a business wanna start a medical business or a law business? I don't think there's a percentage of people that "should" or "shouldn't" go to college. I bet this guy would be angry at someone who likes eating fried/fat/sugar foods and being in college and enjoying it despite not knowing what to do with their career yet, but I could be totally wrong. Anyways, I highly advise that you look up this guy for yourself. Don't take my word for it. End of rant.

2. ViroGamer

ViroGamer
    Expand Collapse

Why make clickbait on a self improvement channel? People barely watch it, and clickbait that should be real on a self improvement channel seems wrong.
    Anyways, no I didn't hear about it
    Also, Its always better to have college even if you want a bussiness because it is likely that you'll be better at it, unless you do dropshipping (my mother did it :rolleyes:, but she quit anyway)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Just saw the crash video from @HadACoolName in a dashcam compilation. Interesting to see a familiar face in a video when you don't expect it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I know, clickbait on a self improvement channel is wrong. Also, Improvement Pill has no business telling others what to do with their lives. I don't want to go to college right now, but I totally get the appeal of it. I'm not gonna act like everyone who doesn't want to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, engineer, etc shouldn't go to college. People like Improvement Pill need to stop telling others what to do with their lives. @appesh1, I would love to hear your thoughts on Improvement Pill. If you watched Improvement Pill and you didn't like his videos. I wouldn't be surprised at all, though I don't think we have to worry that much about this guy unless he gets in the government.

5. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

The video of the Golf rear ending the ute was also taken from my channel ;)

6. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I didn't even realize. Was that you driving? That could have been much worse than it was.

7. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Gas prices in Minnesota are under a dollar a gallon right now, and even though we usually have cheap-ish gas, that's crazy low.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Oh good, it's page 1980 now. Who knows how long it'll be before we get to page 1990?

9. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Probably in 3 days tops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Oh, okay then. Let's post more, so we can meet that deadline.

11. ViroGamer

ViroGamer
    Expand Collapse

I know no-one here heard about it, but what do you guys think on Asher Postman's remixes? (First is original, skip that until you see an electric piano)

12. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

hey, has anyone notices the roamer brakes don't work anymore?
    @Nadeox1 might want to know this, as well as some other devs

13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Hello @Copunit12, I have 3 questions for you.

1. What do you think of YouTube?
    2. What do you think of Facebook?
    3. What do you think of Reddit?

14. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

1: Youtube has become to big for their own good along with no serious competition up until recently. The adpocalypse really shows how incompetence they are at dealing with anything along with ignoring any good solutions in favor of doing either nothing or making the situation worse.
    2. Hey look at this clearly virus ad do you want it no well too bad here's a virus and were also going to take all your data and sell it for 200k a kilobyte and if you have any problems we will just shadow ban or strait up ban you bucko.
    3. "hi I'm new...." "get your self outa here you **********************************" ~Reddit. Outside of a toxic community and the site going down the dark path with advertising and shadow banning it's ok and really ok for pages that give out information such as Reddit AMA's and or forums that relate to a well moderated product.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. SuperchargedAndSavage!

SuperchargedAndSavage!
    Expand Collapse

Jaiden Animations? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no.
    About the Psych2Go video. (S)he actually made one good point or two about school not being for some people.
    And the Chronic Future song... It's nice

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperchargedAndSavage!

SuperchargedAndSavage!
    Expand Collapse

facepalm.jpg
    This youtuber's mental state is concerning.

#39476 SuperchargedAndSavage!, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. ZentornoDrifter

ZentornoDrifter
    Expand Collapse

what did i miss

• Like Like x 1
  18. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

@CrimsonCrocodile, How are you doing today?

1: Yes, I've heard about the adpocalypse. I also heard about YouTube demonetizing people for swearing. Due to Youtube's monetization system.
    2: Facebook's practices are very abysmal in my opinion. The fact that they sell your data is morally wrong. Privacy is important and Facebook needs to understand that.
    3: Oh, Reddit. I responded to plenty of posts about trade school and college from Reddit and other sites such as debate.org.

WARNING: VERY LONG QUOTED POSTS IN THIS SPOILER. I do not expect you to read all of this.

"Agreed.

Anyways, I think Reddit is a load of crap. There are a lot of comments on there that have stressed me out, including this one that I copied from the Reddit thread or whatever called "Trade school is a joke".

"And on another note, my passion is competitive gaming and to have a YouTube channel. For the former, there's no other way but to work and get money on the side and then do competitive gaming as a hobby. Same with YouTubing. No, I am not willing to throw away a secure future just for my passions. I can do my passions in my free time and as such, it's overwhelmingly stupid to throw away a guaranteed source of income to make my passion my main source of income. The term "starving artist" doesn't exist for no reason." Aquafuze

I honestly kinda disagree with this post. Look, making a YouTube channel is not for everyone and there are starving artists out there. However, there are people like Jake Paul that can make a million dollars off YouTube. By the way, a smart idea would be to promote your YouTube channel and give a link to it. You can also start a Patreon account.

Look, I think Aquafuze can do whatever works for him, but I'm sure there's people out there who make music and entertainment that make a good wage off it. I am aware that there are starving artists out there, but that can be because they don't promote their work, or they don't allow themselves to make money off it. Look, I'm not saying that you have to make your passion a main source of income.

I totally get the appeal of working at a job that you don't love/enjoy, but you make good money off of. However, there are people out there who make money off gaming and YouTube. Some people actually make a living off YouTube and depend on it as their main source of income. By the way, you can totally do your passions in your free time, but if Aquafuze wanted to make his passions his main source of income. He probably could.
    --- Post updated ---
    "I'm seeing the complete opposite with my friends. The ones with the degrees are excelling while the others that thought they didn't need one are struggling while preaching the "college is for suckers" line. Depends on what you do with it" evilfatman89

Yes, but there are successful people without degrees and there are unsuccessful people with degrees. College is not a black or white thing.

"Very very ture. I'm right there with you. I got a degree and a decent job. All my friends from high school that took one or two semesters at a community college are still working as servers at Texas Road House. Granted they make some good money but most still live with their parents." naturalborn

Well, people with degrees (on average) do make more then high school grads. However, there are people without degrees who make a decent wage.

"TIL if you aren't making money you are worthless and can't possibly be contributing in any other way." huehuemar

What if you're a nice person that helps people?

Honestly, comments like this are the main reason I dislike Reddit.
    --- Post updated ---
    By the way, here's some advice. It's up you on whether or not you want to go to college. Do what works for you. Don't do something just because some random internet user says you should. College is not black or white. If you disagree with the things I said. Please explain why."

https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1964

"Thanks.

Now, let's get started. @appesh1, @Harkin Labs Gaming, @CaptainZoll, and @Copunit12. Feel free to share your thoughts on this :)

By the way, the things I say responding to the comments below are my opinion.
    Also, this post has been edited.

"You're a stupid kid. You really are and you know absolutely dogsh*t about life. You're a sheltered kid who has no real life experiences and has had no responsibilities other than mowing the lawn for your life. You're a strain on the economy and absolutely worthless in your current state. When you grow up you'll look back and wish you had listened." [deleted]

Really? All because the comment you quoted said/meant "Being told what to do is annoying for me"? Come on. It's bad enough there's other people out there saying "gO tO cOlleGe aNd gEt a degRee!", and now you're pressuring them to go.

"People are advising you to go to college, they are not "telling you what to do"." rocky8u

To be honest, I think they're doing both.

"Music production like being a dj? None of those will pay for a roof over your head and put food on the table. Theyre more hobbies than careers." [deleted]

The Chainsmokers (according to Google) are the highest paid DJs. They have $46 million dollars. That's a lot of money. Honestly, I believe that this Reddit statement above me is a naysayer comment.

"You will need to find a school to go to, if not necessarily a four year college in order to learn more about any of those interests and start a career. Explore your options." pensivegargoyle

For music?! Are you sure about that?

"Making a living off of making music is really really really unrealistic." [deleted]

Are you sure? I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that make a good living of making music.

"Our ditch-diggers should have a solid knowledge of the scientific process, and calculus skills. They should be able to comment on art displays and reference classical history." HazelGhost

No offense, but not everyone needs to be a super smart know it all and not everyone needs to have a crap-ton of knowledge about math or science.

"I think everyone should go to college, or at least have access to college purely as a means of enlightenment and learning about the world. Practically, college is there for you to educate yourself in order to find a job. Idealistically, college would also be available to those who just want to seek more knowledge about a certain subject and expand their point of view. The paywall prevents that from happening, though. If everyone had access to higher education, for whatever reason they need, I think humanity as a whole would improve." [deleted]

I disagree. I think college is right for engineers, doctors, lawyers, professors, accountants, etc. However, I don't think everyone should go to college. I feel like it would massively tank the value of a high school diploma. If everyone went to college. Then, there wouldn't be any unique people without degrees and employers would only hire people with degrees which would cause people who are sick of school to be screwed if they didn't attend university.

"Even the word, labor, was associated with the lower class and poorly educated." OGHuggles

Is that true, or is that your opinion? Also, like I said earlier. Not everyone needs to be a know it all.

Anyways, I'm done for now. Thanks for reading :)"

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1965

"Alright, let's respond to more Reddit comments :p

"There's a ton of studies showing that lifetime earning of college students (on average) are significantly higher than those who did not continue their education. There's always going to be individuals that fall outside of the average return, but the numbers don't lie." -Randy-Marsh-

Fair enough, but I'm sure there are college grads working at dead end jobs and I'm sure there are non college grads working at great jobs that pay well.

"Those videos are wrong. [Here are mean annual earnings based on educational attainment] (https://www.edvisors.com/plan-for-c...~/media/ea6a9aba5ae549e0a2953b065b9ebd34.ashx). The cost of school, (which can be mitigated) is more than made up over time. In addition, a lack of a degree permanently blocks you from access to many higher paying roles down the road. Simple math determines it is not. Those videos on YouTube typically compare the best possible outcomes of going to trade school with lower end entry level jobs to make their point. It ignores that those entry level hobs have upward mobility that those trade positions lack and over the course of a career you are going to advance much further than entry level. Now, not all fields are equal. If you go into art history, you're going to be fairly limited in career upward mobility in that field. If you go into social work, the pay sucks. A degree doesn't mean that you will become solidly middle class no matter what job you take. But those jobs become available to you with a degree. Even one in Art History can still land you a job in the insurance industry. College costs can be mitigated as well. You can do community college and then transfer to wherever you want your degree from and mitigate at least half the cost. You can get a degree from an affordable university. There are scholarships available. If you wait a year or two you can declare yourself under your own income and will be able to get a lot of need-based financial aid, regardless of what your parents make. There are plenty of resources out there to help you minimize the cost of education if you look for them" TheManWhoWasNotShort

Okay, maybe the things that this guy is saying is true, but I don't think college is for everyone.

"There's some truth there, but while it's true that you don't NEED to go to college to be successful, it does dramatically increase the chances of it. It's better to have the degree that you never need than to get locked out of things because you need one you don't have." JustynS

I guess college can increase your chances of success considering that college grads apparently make more then high school grads. It might be better to have a degree that you don't need then to not have a degree that you need, especially if you want to go into medical fields."

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1965

"Okay, here's some more of me responding to Reddit comments.

"That said, you'll find increasingly that more and more decent careers are requiring SOME kind of college degree" scottevil110

Uh, are you sure about that?

"Being self employed without a degree is also very difficult" rocky8u

My mom's self employed and she doesn't have a college degree. It honestly depends on what you want to do.

"Well they provide no credentials, so just as reliable as any other random YouTuber." rhomboidus

Okay, I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have any proof of this? By the way @appesh1, the quoted comment above is referring to Psych2Go.

"but not having one will certainly make it much harder to get one in most fields." AurelianoTampa

I'm sure not having a degree will make it hard to find a job in medical, law, engineering, math, teaching, and other fields, but what about trade fields?

"But I don't think a Bachelor's is worthless. It represents hard work, the cost of college, and a traditional education. But it's an important investment in human capital, and it leads to a more highly compensated career in the long run." ericthedreamer

I do think a Bachelors degree can definitely help you find a job. I looked the minimum education requirement for civil engineering and it's a Bachelors degree. As far a degree leading to a high paying career. It does increase the chances of it, but it's not a 100% guarantee.

"a college degree gives access to jobs that provide some combination of better pay, more stability, better work environment, better opportunities for advancement, better hours. That has got to be worth something." SAtUSA

Yes, but couldn't you get a few jobs like that without a college degree?

"Yes, but then not having one does make you stand out, and not in a good way." AlphaGoGoDancer

I'm sure not having a degree does make you stand out in a bad way in fields like medical, teaching, engineering, etc. However, I do not think everyone should be forced to go to college and I'm sure there are successful people without a degree.

"Apple famously started from a few nerds at college building phonehacking equipment in their garage." AlphaGoGoDancer

Maybe that's true. I don't know, but didn't Steve Jobs drop out of college?

"There are good reasons to go to college. Thinking that a diploma will lead to a better financial future is nonsense." 1tranqulio2

Fair enough, I think college can help you to find a higher paying job. However, I don't think college is only way to make a decent living.

"That said, there are hundred of thousands of good jobs in the US that require a college degree. To have a chance at these jobs you need college. So in so far as a chance at a good job is valuable, a college degree is valuable." jatjqtjat

Your point is true if you're referring to medical, engineering, and (possibly) government jobs. There's a YouTube called TASproductions that does videos on Veggietales related content. I'm pretty sure the guy who speaks in the videos on that channel works in the government and I'm sure he did 2 years of college at the absolute minimum, but I'm sure he did more then that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Counterexample:

I have a BS in Computer Science. Graduated 2014. Right now I earn 6 figures in the midwest, working in IT. My degree has significant value." Tapeleg91

Well man, I'm glad your degree has value and I'm glad you're making 6 figures. However, I'm pretty sure there are people who can make that much without a degree.

"Good grades also show you can be organized with time management skills etc" JD782

Maybe, that's true, but don't you feel like too many people are pressured to get a bunch of A's?

Anyways, end of post."

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1966

""YES! Not Going Doesn't Make You "Cool" or a "Free Spirit"
    As a second year undergrad at a State University I would like to chuck every one of my textbooks at lazy kids who don't want/ didn't go to college.
    Excuse 1: "College is too expensive" Ok yes, money is always a concern regarding higher education but guess what: FINANCIAL AID IS A THING. If you were really is money crunched as you say you *would* receive aid. All you have to do is try. And even if you dont: WHO CARES. I come from a solidly middle class family and the amount of aid I *don't* receive is staggering. But I wanted this for myself so I, as an adult decided to work out a system with my parents and pay off my loans after graduation. Loans may suck but adulting feels SO GOOD.
    Excuse 2: "College isnt that important, I can still be successful without it". If you're saying that you can be just as successful as your college educated peers (which was proven untrue by hundreds of studies but mmkay) then why not take the chance and go to college anyway?
    Excuse 3: "Just because you went to college doesn't make you smarter"
    ....Bruh
    Excuse 4: "I already know what I want but college isn't it"
    You think you know a lot of things when you're still in high school.
    Excuse 5: "I can't go to college because I want to travel and experience the world instead"
    Ummm Study Abroad is a thing and so are are Out of State/ Non-local schools
    Conclusion: Stop making excuses and GO. TO. COLLEGE" Janellethebelle

Oh crap, here we go again with the "everyone should go to college" bs. This comment above me is an opinion from debate.org. Let's start with the lazy kids part. Some people actually can't do college or they're too busy to go. Just because someone doesn't go to college doesn't mean they're lazy.

Let's respond to the "excuses".

1: Some people can't afford it and may not be able to use loans. Keep in mind that I don't know much loans.
    2: There are plenty of successful college dropouts. By the way, do you have proof of those studies you were talking about?
    3: College can make you smarter, but I don't think everyone has to be a super smart know-it-all.
    4: Some people who don't want to go to college are people with jobs and kids.
    5: Maybe there is a thing called Study Abroad, but some people might get sick of school after they graduate from high school.

Conclusion: I do not believe everyone should be forced to go to college. I hate comments like this, because I feel like they're telling others what to do.

EDIT for #2: I think this person was talking about the studies that college grads make more, but those are on average. There are exceptions I'm sure. By the way, there are successful billionaires who dropped out of college according to Google."

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1967

"Oh boy, time to respond to statements from articles and comments about college from certain sites. @Harkin Labs Gaming, @MrJavelin, @Phym, @SuperchargedAndSavage!, @SuperAusten64, @Copunit12, @michael_zowski, and @appesh1. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

"College may not be for everyone, but it should be."

I disagree. I think college is right for people who need it for their career, enjoy it, or both. However, I don't think everyone should be forced to go to college. Look, college is less expensive in Europe from what I've heard. However, I don't think everyone needs a college degree and I cannot stand college pressure at all. I think instead of making college more required for a better job. I think we should improve elementary, middle, and high school education so that way, the value of a high school diploma increases and people are able to find good, high paying jobs with just a high school diploma.

"This response leads me to ask: If college was for you and for your children, who is it not for?"

I don't know, maybe people who are too busy, have a severe learning disability, can't afford it, or just don't want to go in general. I feel like making college mandatory for everyone at least in America would ruin democracy and freedom of will.

"Americans with a bachelor’s degree will, on average, earn twice as much as their high school graduate peers over the course of a lifetime. What’s more, jobs that require only a high school diploma have been steadily disappearing over the last 30 years, a trend that has accelerated since the 2008 financial crisis."

That's not incorrect. People with Bachelors degrees are more likely to earn more then their high school grads and the value of a high school diploma has seemed like it's been going down. However, it isn't a 100% guarantee you'll get a great job with a Bachleors degree. Also, this pressure to go to college will make people like me who are afraid of going to college resent it even more.

"A failure to expand access to higher education will widen the gap between the fortunate few and the disenfranchised many."

Maybe this is true. However, like I said. I think we should just improve high school education, so that way people can get good jobs that pay well with just a high school diploma.

"particularly when the students who are most often dismissed as “not college material” are students of color, students with disabilities, and students from rural and impoverished areas."

How on earth could students of color be dismissed as "not college material". I'm sure there's plenty of people of color that go to college. I think people who are "not college material" are people that can't afford it, are too busy to do it, or just don't feel like going.

"Instead, policymakers should afford every American the same educational opportunities we want for our own children."

This is probably a good point. We should allow people to have access to higher education, but we shouldn't force everyone to go. Forcing everyone to go to college could increase anxiety, depression, sadness, anger, and could cause a crap ton of other issues.

"We must expand the college-going culture. We must instill in kids, at at early age, the belief that they can and will go to college. High schools should increase dual-credit opportunities such as Running Start, Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate to allow students to build momentum and earn college credit while in high school and save money later. Governments must make the financial aid system more comprehensible in the near term and make long-term investments in need-based tuition assistance. Colleges should create more high-quality online degree programs so that working adults who must balance employment demands, child care needs and transportation challenges can complete a degree."

My goodness, I think I just lost brain cells reading this. We should not place the belief on every kid that they will go to college. Instead, we should consider other alternatives for college and try to improve high school education by having the high schools do more to prepare kids for the real world and teach kids about high paying work so that way, a diploma will allow access to jobs that pay well. This will dramatically increase the value of a high school diploma. We should not force college on to everyone, especially the people that don't want it.

"At a time when economic inequality threatens to leave an entire generation of Americans behind, we must reject the outdated idea that “college isn’t for everyone” and work urgently to prove that just the opposite is true."

I disagree with this as well. Forcing everyone to go to college could damage creativity, freedom, happiness, passion, drive, etc. We should consider alternatives to college. Look, I know life is sometimes about doing things you don't want to do, but college shouldn't one of those you have to do that you don't want to do in life. It should be something for people to enjoy, not something to worry about having to go to when they finish high school. If everyone (and I do literally mean everyone) went to college. Then, employers would probably only hire people with degrees and people without degrees would be screwed.

Now, for the comment part. Get ready for mostly opinions and maybe a few "facts" here and there.

"Um. . . . DUH, COLLEGE SHOULD BE MANDATORY!
    If you don't go to college, You don't get a good job. If you don't get a good job, You don't get money. If you don't get money, You don't get a house. If you don't get a house, You're homeless. If you're homeless, You have to live with your parents. If you live with your parents, You'll be embarrassed. If you're embarrassed, You'll move out again. If you move out again, You'll have no friends. If you have no friends, You'll want to get a dog. If you want to get a dog, You'll realize you can't, Because you have no money. If you have no money, You'll want to steal. If you steal, You'll get caught. If you get caught, You'll go to jail. If you go to jail, You'll get lonely. If you get lonely, You'll get sad. If you get sad, You'll get depressed. If you get depressed, You'll commit suicide. If you commit suicide, You'll have no life. Literally. So go to college, Because you don't want to commit suicide." from debate.org

Man, this comment is dumb. Look, I know there are people going through a hard time in 2020 because of COVID-19. However, this comment sounds like it was written by a young and gullible adult or a kid who listens to dogmatic college hate propaganda and doesn't know about trade schools and other alternatives to college. There are ways to earn money without college and there are definitely ways to earn money without a Bachleors degree. Also, there are college students who commit suicide.

"Not going to college will destroy the FUTURE!!!!!
    A lot of people say they don't want to go to college And i ask is this right, is that reasonable? Because, almost all those who don't go to college would choose the direction of drugs and alcohol. And also college is really important in so many countries and by going to college we re setting our future generation for a good and successful life" again from debate.org

If everybody didn't go to college even if they wanted to be doctors, engineers, accountants, teachers, professors, lawyers, etc. That might "destroy" the future. However, America is not gonna go to crap just because someone didn't go to college. Like Harkin Labs Gaming said, he noticed that most of the drug addicts he met went to college. Crime is equal opportunity. I'm sure Harkin Labs Gaming can debunk this comment better then I can.

"College is right!!!!
    Who is the future of the world? The kids!!! And if they don't get a proper education what will become of our society? We will become a nobody in the eyes of other countries. But as an adult, do you really want your future society to be dumber that a rock? We will all be working at McDonalds. That is why everyone should be required to go to college." from debate.org (obviously)

Not all people who don't go to college will work at McDonald's. Besides, a lot of people like McDonald's. There's no shame in working there. The pay isn't good, but it's better then sitting on a couch all day and relying on your parents for money all your life. Also, just because people don't go to college doesn't mean they're dumb or at least not dumber then a rock.

End of responses."

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1970

"Oh boy, time to respond to more Reddit statements. @Harkin Labs Gaming and @appesh1, Feel free to share your thoughts.

"Of course, if your life's ambition is to be an "artist" then maybe it is a waste... but good luck with that." Lokiorin

What kind of art are you talking about? Are you talking about painting pictures or being a filmmaker?

"As for people that have passions for music and art. Yeah they really need to go to college for that" [deleted]

To be honest, I think that depends on what kind of art you wanna do.

"And if you argue back "College should not be needed for the arts" then it just shows that you do not realize how much of an academic side goes into these fields and how important working with someone who is established in your craft becomes for not only getting better, but for opening doors." AriadnesCrown

I admit, the statement "College should not be needed for any arts" is ignorant. There might be some art that requires college, but do you actually think college is required for any type of film making or making videos?

"With that in mind, college is necessary for a lot of people because it is usually the only way they can get their foot in the door and start a career." [deleted]

That depends. That statement is true for fields that require college, but it's not true for fields that don't require college.

"Maybe you make a lot of money being a trash collector right away, but 10 years from now what are your prospects? Same with being a police officer. Generally speaking being in a white collar job has greater future opportunities with higher salary and equity ceilings. Naturally you can still do quite well as a mechanic or electrician, but generally you have to go off on your own and starting your own business is risky and only a small percentage of people make it." Ry-Fi

Are you sure this is true? I'll let Harkin Labs Gaming debunk this one if he wants to.

"But the reality is what the reality is. For most people, going college is the best choice." Ry-fi

Do you have any proof of this other then studies? Do you know personally know everyone that went to college?

"we are talking about generally what is best for most people." Ry-Fi

Again, do you know for sure about this?

"because you have different preferences does not mean college is a poor choice for most people - it may just mean it is a poor choice for you" Ry-Fi

Fair point, but you keep saying that college is a great choice for most people which I'm not a 100% sure is true. Look, people should be allowed to go to college whether it's a good choice or not, but saying stuff like "college good for most people" sounds like generalization and sounds incredibly black and white. It's just as dumb as "college is bad for most people".

"But until the data and studies suggest otherwise, I will not admit that college is a waste of time and money." Ry-Fi

You know what's great about democracy, you don't have admit stuff you don't want to admit. By the way, there are people who do well in college and make great money because of it and there's people who don't do well in college and end up with crap jobs that don't pay well. College isn't a black or white. Everyone has different experiences with it. I don't think college is for me, but I'm glad that other people like @CrimsonCrocodile enjoy it.

"Well, for one thing, there are only so many jobs that could be gained from entering a trade. Not everybody in the country can become a mechanic, carpenter, steel worker, etc. because there is only so much demand for those jobs until we don't need anymore people to work them." [deleted]

Well, fair point. We do need some doctors. I think knowing how to save a human's life is more important then learning how to fix a car or change a lightbulb, though fixing cars and changing lightblubs are important as well.

"Well I really don't know what to tell you then... Every college educated person I've ever met in my life owes their success to the things they learned in school. Seems like you're deadset on not believing that college can be useful for people." [deleted]

College can be useful for people. However, I believe saying it's right for "most people" is ignorant. Plus, I don't think everyone should need a fricking Bachelors degree to make a living.

"College makes you a better writer, a better thinker, a better communicator, a better social interactor, you form instant networks, you learn about fields and topics you never knew about before." Ry-Fi

Maybe this is true. However, college alone may not automatically do these things for you. You might need to put in some effort yourself to do these things. The "college is great for everyone" or "college is great for most people" mentality, plus people pressuring to go to college could, tank the value of a high school diploma alone, cause everyone without a degree to be unemployed, and a bunch of other issues. Instead of making college more mandatory for a better job. We should make high school education improve so that way, people with just a high school diploma can make a good living.

"I can't imagine doing the exact same thing every day for the rest of my life. At some point you're going to get sick and tired of fixing pipes, you know? My degree allows me a lot of flexibility."
    At_the_Roundhouse

So, you're saying trades don't allow flexibility? I'll let Harkin Labs Gaming debunk this one as well."

From: https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1973

I have another question for you Copunit12, How's CDL school going for you?
    I'm in high school and I don't feel like going to college (at least not right now), but Improvement Pill sounds like he would be a great authority figure. He tells others what to do with their lives which is wrong. Telling people to go or not go to college is wrong. Also, do you actually need a degree for this digital marketing crap he's talking about? I think "Government Phil" or "IRS Phil" would both be great names to call this guy. I don't think college is for me, but Improvement Pill sounds like a total fraud and somebody that Broc Toney from the Christian Grindcore band Eternal Mystery would call out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SuperchargedAndSavage!

SuperchargedAndSavage!
    Expand Collapse

Official face reveal of Improvement Pill:
    ImprovementPill.jpg
    Also I changed his banner so that it actually fits the channel's content:
    lOSSOFBRAINCELLS.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I don't know.
    --- Post updated ---
    Well, thank you for the information and for answering my questions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice