Gridmap Revamp

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Leeloo, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Mr. Eddie Woods

Mr. Eddie Woods
    Expand Collapse

Can we get a truck flexing area like this?

Attached Files:

• flexing.png
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Noobinator_83

Noobinator_83
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure? Because I have a GTX 1650 and play at 1080p and I can get 60 FPS easy

3. thebeamnguy

thebeamnguy
    Expand Collapse

Try to keep on topic. This forum is about the gridmap revamp. If you would like to, you can request a chat/message with that person.
    That's called a suspension test, and I think it's already in the original gridmap.

#243 thebeamnguy, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

It's not, but is a good idea

5. thebeamnguy

thebeamnguy
    Expand Collapse

6. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

teardown has really low specs
    big brain, although i dont think the d-series could flex like that, maybe the hopper?

7. Leroux83

Leroux83
    Expand Collapse

Well, I actually didn't see this teaser, so here are some of my ideas (I've seen that I share some of them with people on the forum ;))

- Keep the huge Beamng logo ! It's quite nice and it gives a lot of charm to this map !

- Make a drift track

- Make a tunnel system, built like a big cross under this square-shaped map and on the contour (like this picture, so tunnels appears in black)

with exits in the middle and at every corner.

- It would be great to have a city which looks like the old VR-city map, but I think that it's actually the AI test area. o_O (Maybe add a supermarket with a parking lot in this city)

Great job Beamng team ! :cool:

#247 Leroux83, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Beanager11

Beanager11
    Expand Collapse

A small circuit track, to test handling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. toyota_supraaaa

toyota_supraaaa
    Expand Collapse

Maybe a rallycross track and roads

10. Foxxman007

Foxxman007
    Expand Collapse

Dirt jumps, Whoops, Banked curves on the ground, A tall platform with ramps, a race track, and... a drag strip. I know most of this is on other maps, but it would be kind of cool to just have a place to test all of this stuff on one map. Cheers.

11. I_am_eXo

I_am_eXo
    Expand Collapse

They should add mud physics and the car gets dirty. both in rally and offroad that would be very good. in addition to adding some difficulty to the maps when having to go through areas with dense mud

12. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Remember that this thread is for the gridmap revamp, and not adding game features and new code.

• Agree Agree x 14
  13. Trophy

Trophy
    Expand Collapse

14. Bad Driver771

Bad Driver771
    Expand Collapse

This and paint scratches are THE most requested features, and the least likely to get implemented, due to processing power limitations.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

It is a WIP idea at the moment, not sure what the progress is though
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/title-was-changed-wip-paint-scratches.72024/

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tom Foolery

Tom Foolery
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I'm going to join a bunch of others in hoping that the original character of Gridmap is preserved in the new version. Stuff that others have mentioned like the placement of the iconic ramp, the high-speed loop around the perimeter, and the giant BeamNG logo are all things I would like to see kept. I'd also personally like to request forking the map, either keeping the current version as "Simple Gridmap" and making a new "Advanced Gridmap," or deprecating and posting the current Gridmap to the repo as you did with Dry Rock Island.

As for terrain features, I really liked the idea of adding 10km strips of various grades for some uphill hauling tests and the like. Current maps are just too small to do something like Motor Trend's Davis Dam Grade that they used for torturing their truck of the year finalists. Also, maybe adding a couple of blasts from the past, like the billboard someone else mentioned, would be really nice as Easter eggs tucked in the corner or left near the iconic ramp. Remember the suspension testing course that's right in front of you when you spawn? The right-hand section used to be a lot rougher, with giant divots and steep blocks posing a formidable challenge to anything short of an MAZ. Wouldn't mind having that back in.

I also just kind of love how there's an abrupt change from blank VR concrete to a green space with trees and a swamp. The map's supposedly in VR, not real life (according to the description in the map selector), so why bother trying to make it mirror a real-life map? Go wild with out-of-place features, it gives the map a lived-in feel and keeps it from seeming sterile. The trees arching over the rock-crawling and mug-bogging strips make it feel cozy to me. Just a thought. Sorry for the huge text block, I just wanted to cherry-pick what I thought were the best suggestions so far.

#256 Tom Foolery, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Bad Driver771

Bad Driver771
    Expand Collapse

Agreed

18. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse

Hello, this is my first post. Looking amazing!
    When is the expected release date? I cannot wait.

19. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Hello and welcome to the forums!

One of the more unique things about BeamNG is the fact that they do not publish release dates or even forecasts for release dates. This enables the dev team to work at a better pace and improves the quality of updates by reducing pressure to release them by a specified deadline. Specific content is sometimes, but not always, promised for release in the next update.

Forum users do keep track of the dates of past updates, and the average time between updates over the last few years has been approximately three to four months. As the last major update to the game was in mid-December, an update is expected soon. However, recent teasers for 'Walking Mode' in the Update Speculation Thread have been set in the existing version of Gridmap. Given that this discussion is about the planning stages of a refresh, it seems less likely that a new version of Gridmap will arrive as part of the upcoming update, and will instead be part of an update further into the future.

• Like Like x 10
  20. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your reply. I understand. :)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice