Help needed skinning the Moonhawk

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by passengerpigeon, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. passengerpigeon

passengerpigeon
    Expand Collapse

Hello all,
    I have created a new mod, the Moonhawk Base Model mod, which currently includes the notoriously underpowered "Iron Dinosaur" engine from the LeGran and will in the future include interior and exterior skins for a "Beater" version of the car, but I don't know where to start. I know how to add skins in the file system and so forth, but I don't know what the "Diffuse", "Spectral" and "Normal" versions of the .dds files do and why the Diffuse interior image is so faint. If I want to create an overlay for the outside of the car with rust, flaking paint and dirt, similar to the Covet beater skin, and a version of the interior with stains, cracked vinyl and rotting wood, similar to the worn interior from the famous Oldsmobile mod, which files should I modify?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

3. passengerpigeon

passengerpigeon
    Expand Collapse

I've already figured out how the skinning system works in terms of file setup, but what I couldn't find out is which skin layer (n, d, s or c) do I modify if I want to create an overlay of rust, dirt and grey patches of exposed metal for the outside of the car.

#3 passengerpigeon, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

n - Normal map
    d - Diffuse map
    s - Specular map
    c - colormap

You don't have to modify any of these.
    Just follow the tutorial, you need to make a new texture, which you will use as skin.
    You can have a look at how the pickup does it (BeamNG.Drive/content/vehicles/pickup).

5. passengerpigeon

passengerpigeon
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't trying to modify the stock skins. The pickup rusty skin has transparent parts corresponding to the UV map file and white bits in between with the rust painted onto the transparent area. Do I do the same for the Moonhawk skin?

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Pretty much yeah.

7. passengerpigeon

passengerpigeon
    Expand Collapse

OK, so I tried creating a banger racing skin for the Moonhawk using that method, and it seems to work fine when applied to white paint, but when I apply it to a car with dark paint, it makes the skin dark and washed out. Here is the code which I used to add the skin:
    Attached is the skin file it is referring to. If I want to create a colored overlay skin that does not change color when the main paint color is changed, should I edit a different layer or do I need to create a new colormap?

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice