WIP Beta released So-Cal Interstate Highway (126 miles of road & path) 0.8

Deprecated - Will conflict with los injurus. Do not use please.

1. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely, in my experience - I try to reduce as much computer overhead as possible before going into BeamNG - at most I have one browser tab with the pop out twitch chat.

Other than that, I use steam overlay to play music and whatnot.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Might be, for me at least browser with many tabs, especially youtube tabs tend to have some effect to FPS.

If you have interest you could use this program to record a log from your playing on this map and send it to me or post here and I can tell you if it is CPU or GPU or something else that is limiting performance:
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Update: Change polling rate from 2000 to 1000 in HwInfo settings if you log with HwInfo.
    --- Post updated ---
    I tested this map for my performance thread, but I got really weird results, graph is rather long as this is big map and I wanted to be thorough, so there is lot of driving, I can't say that CPU load would increase when GPU load drops, but also I can't find any other reason why GPU load would drop:
    upload_2017-4-8_23-13-40.png

CPU load profile also is quite different from most other maps and it is probably longer graph in existence, X-axis is seconds:
    upload_2017-4-8_23-15-37.png

There probably is something in map that trigger some weird part in code that is causing the lag, at least it would be easy to explain like that.

You would think that should be enough crazy?

I did go to level editor, changed visual distance to 2000 and then back to 4200 which I think was default, tested windowed 720p and full screen 1080p FPS increase was from 65 to over 100. I attempted to make a video of it by doing it again, but this multiple object selection bug is foiling every attempt so far.

At windowed mode I got over 180fps (720p) with 2000 visual distance, where as I got 66fps at full screen at 1080p, also at full screen CPU load profile is kinda weird, but I need to check if changing visual distance back and forth changes that to normal.

There something awfully weird going on here, certainly some bug in someplace or maybe game engine goes berserk with many objects?

Update: My bad, original visual distance was 8200, there my well working memory shows it's excellence again. Anyway managed to test few settings of visual distance and their effect to FPS, because CPU is not the definite reason, GPU certainly is not the reason, can we blame game engine being reason for not being able to keep up with number of stuff around?

Next game update might do something about this, or then not, we will see, but meanwhile same solution works as with other maps where CPU is limiting factor, even limit in this one seems to be something in engine or someplace else.

This is video of test, you can safely skip part where I start moving free camera to 1:22 or so:

Also pics that show problem with shorter visual distance and performance gain at 720p, kinda also show how we should have separate terrain visual distance and separate visual distance for rest of the stuff:

This I think is slowest spot on the map.

8200 meters
    upload_2017-4-9_0-10-38.png
    4200 meters
    upload_2017-4-9_0-11-47.png

3200 meters
    upload_2017-4-9_0-12-39.png

2500 meters
    upload_2017-4-9_0-13-24.png

2500 meters with morning fog
    upload_2017-4-9_0-15-49.png
    upload_2017-4-9_0-16-20.png

#42 fufsgfen, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The level info is line 100 on the .mis file for the map if it's any help.
    If you click something, and it selects two things (because the map is over 2048 objects but not over 4096), hold CTRL and click on one object or the other (doing this in the list box helps), until you end up with one thing selected. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    This two-things-for-one bug affects all 3 of my maps (because I pack them with detail).
    I would have set the view distance lower, but it'd be like running full speed through a forest in the middle of the night. Sooner or later you're going to hit something and you're never going to see it coming. In the future when gaming computers have caught up to speed, I might be able to add some more things to this map, but until then, no, not really going to add much to this.

Lower reflection resolution or turn it off, Put textures to medium, if you have low FPS high GPU usage.
    Low CPU usage can be cured by turning off shadows, as they're done on the CPU right now (0.8.x game version).
    Do not look out over the edge of the map if you can help it, this causes FPS to plummet, for some unknown reason, since 0.7.x game version or so, it's a bug with the game.

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I really think that it is some kind of issue in game engine, even ECA gets low CPU usage while GPU usage is low, if you put enough lights on cars, so I think it has something to do with too many something that needs to be calculated, hopefully new game version fixes that as it would then allow much more complex and bigger maps.

You can see my settings and specs here:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/your-performance-testing-results.37866/

Bob, just imagine if we could have 8000 objects without an issue, terrain visual distance could be 20 000 while for those 8000 objects it could be easily as low as 500 meters, that would really be a thing for city maps. Not sure how new update will change performance, I have heard there are optimizations and new Italy map is bigger with town and they have done some changes to make it run, so it might be your maps will run better in future by just waiting for new update!

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I've asked for 8k object limit, or 16k. IT would make this game a lot more future-proof. Engines like the GTAIV/V engine (same), and engines like Bethsoft's Creation engine (Fallout series), can have an almost unlimited number of things present.

If they're going to do open-world streaming, they should consider this because they will hit the object limit real fast. So-Cal Interstate and especially Roane County are both bordering on going over. I could add maybe 100~150 road or railroad pieces to Roane County and I'd be at 4000 objects. 4096 is the hard limit, including spawns, player, camera, the terrain, sun, cloud layers, mission waypoints, etc. I mean, I am right on it, that's why dev-time on Roane County TN USA is going at what seems a snail's pace, because I have to re-optimize a LOT of things in the process.
    8k on objects, would be sweet, 16k would really give us superior detail. It's not so much about allowing the devs to make a great game with the space in the object catalog / lists, it's about allowing everyone else the space to do it, so your game has much more longetivity with mods and such.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Did you read newest Italy progress? There was mentioning of walls next to road being forest objects, made in blender and then exported as forest objects it said.
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/italy-progress.24505/page-4#post-576128

I know that ECA is heavy on CPU too, so I'm thinking that using forest objects might a trick to save CPU time.

Also I know that no matter how tough forest it will not cause trouble to my CPU, but buildings, mesh road objects like at ECA are very quickly causing high CPU usage.

Italy is big and has lot of objects, they have done something to make it run according to devblog or then I'm just reading too much to it, but I hope this issue is improving with next update as it would allow you to really make what you want with maps.

I would understand if GPU would run out of steam, but with this object related issue I think it is same what GPU there is when CPU is one that goes on knees and even more when putting enough load even CPU load start to fall.

Like enough many lights on ECA CPU load goes up and down so fast that it shows up as 80%, but still not able to keep GPU fed as each spike causes delay to thread that needs to be run to get GPU fed. Lights + shadows means calculating same things many times over.

So-Cal then gets poor end of stick as there is again same thing happening, it is almost like if in code there would be something that would cause tiny loop of nothingness, which gets multiplied by number of objects, it can of course be something like calculation that needs to be synced with physics and something gets overloaded.

How could we really know, but behavior is certainly interesting and tells that there is huge unleashed potential. Of course second visual distance for objects would go around of the problem, but maybe they already have some more clever plans :) Adding second visual distance would need bit more than lua writing I guess.

Anyway this bit odd and quite interesting CPU load that happens on ECA limits number of vehicles I can run at ECA, so it might be something they have to optimize to make it possible to run as many vehicles at ECA than it is possible at JRI.

7. RedSmokeFZW YT

RedSmokeFZW YT
    Expand Collapse

Hey bub, if you were looking forward to adding some highway guide signs, I can probably help because I just seem to like making highway signs.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This map is deprecated, and is no longer supported. One day it might not work anymore (but I have a sneaking suspicion it still does).
    This map has been replaced by Los Injurus City Map, as a base to build the city. It has been heavily re-worked near the city's center (around the lake), and in other portions too not limited to the city area alone. I would hope you come on over to the Los Injurus thread (see my links in the signature), and suggest anything you wish or dream of in a modern U.S. city. There's a public version hitting servers here in DAYS, being almost 1.5 years in the making... I hope you can join us on the thread for release day. Supporting the map will be optional at that point but you'll be privy to more updates regularly VS quarterly public updates. The best part is, you don't need a fancy computer to run it. With little editor knowledge, you can make your own city, or build additions to this one, too.

When Los Injurus goes live, this resource will be removed, but the thread will remain.
    SO-CAL INTERSTATE CAN AND WILL CONFLICT WITH LOS INJURUS IN IT'S CURRENT FORM AS THIS MAP (and it's highways) WAS USED AS THE BASIS FOR LOS INJURUS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! That saying aside, this map was originally envisioned as a city and hence has much of the infrastructure (but not the detail or any trace of civilization other than roads) to support a city.

Please see the Los Injurus thread for current progress, links to that map's Patreon, release status, and other details.

9. RedSmokeFZW YT

RedSmokeFZW YT
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I see then

10. Eskim

Eskim
    Expand Collapse

As of this current date, the map still works perfectly. No bugs or issues.

11. Latios Jeff

Latios Jeff
    Expand Collapse

This map is probably gonna continue working for quite some time. But I imagine whacky things would start happening if you continue to have this map installed, and then put Los Injurus in at the same time without removing this old version and letting the files mix as the game loads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice