Unsolved stuck w/ missing decals

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by torsion, Aug 14, 2016.

1. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I got some advice a while ago from Scepheo on my problem with decals on this mod.

The World Editor has an area that's clearly intended for creating Decal datablocks and editing them, but it never saves anything into managedDecalData.cs for me. If the editor includes all that stuff and it just doesn't work it seems like a bit of a shame!

Am I supposed to be editing this file by hand or what? I suppose I could use some documentation on the whole decal ecosystem. I'd say that I'm very confused.
    --- Post updated ---
    I really don't get it. I added this datablock to the existing file in r44 of the mod:
    Code:
    datablock DecalData(road-01_tracks_large_decal_01)
    {
        Material = "road-01_tracks_large_decal_01";
        textureCoordCount = "3";
        size = "4.7";
        randomize = "0";
        texRows = "2";
        texCols = "2";
        textureCoords[0] = "0 0 0.5 0.5";
        textureCoords[1] = "0.5 0 0.5 0.5";
        textureCoords[2] = "0 0.5 0.5 0.5";
        textureCoords[3] = "0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5";
        textureCoords[5] = "0 0 1 15";
        fadeStartPixelSize = "70";
        fadeEndPixelSize = "80";
        renderPriority = "70";
    };

1. And in-game the decal "Library" showed the size as 15. Where did it get that from?
    2. I changed the size from 15 to 5 and successfully placed a decal. I then saved the Library (with the diskette icon, to get rid of the * in "Libary*".
    3. I saved the map.
    4. I closed the game... and materials.cs has been updated, but managedDecalData.cs has not? It still shows "4.7" for the size!
    5. Finally, re-opening the game and checking the decal Library shows a size of 5 still! But it's not recorded anywhere that I can find!
    --- Post updated ---
    I see now that the size is being stored in materials.cs ... Do I really need managedDecalData.cs as well as materials.cs? Do those two files relate to one another in some way? I better take a break for the moment.

2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Bump.

3. geronimo9

geronimo9
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about mod except that you made Torisons giant chain, which is a great mod
    Ok sorry for spam

4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Bump. Still no help?

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Not sure I'll be of much help but I have created new decals with new materials and the managedDecalData.cs updated in the documents
    location. I then copied the new decal data block to the existing one ( I work unzipped from the contents folder ), and it held. I haven't noticed
    any technical anomalies with it but It wasn't a particularly complex decal either.

I hope I am understanding your issue correctly.

6. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Hey,

sorry for the late reply.

Normally you don't have to modify these files. Everything should be adjustable via the world editor. Furthermore the material.cs should not contain the size of the decals.
    They just belong to each other since the materials.cs file contain the data for the visual representation of the decal data.

However unfortunately I cannot reproduce this issue. Would you mind to send us your files either in this thread or here ?

Cheers,
    Ludger

7. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Aboroath - Unfortunately I think that's what I've been doing. (It's been a while since I've invested much in mapmaking so I'm a little foggy at this point on exactly what I did and did not do.)
    Thanks. Actually this applies to the current version of my map posted here (r44). I believe that I've fixed and re-fixed the decals several times. In fact, when I look back at the update history I can see that my first update was intended to fix the decals.

8. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Hey,

now I was able to reproduce the problem. The game is actually creating a new managedDecalData.cs file in the \Documents\BeamNG.drive\art folder but theres still the old one in your mod's folder sheas_bluff\levels\hillclimb\art\decals which contains the default values. And it seems that the game is taking the values of the old file.

Have you tried to delete the whole datablock object of this decal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice