1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

This post just hit me and made me realize, to some degree, how painful the development process likely is - consider the way people rage and demand refunds when something temporarily breaks, and then imagine that most of your experience with the game is just that, over and over again, and you can't quit and go do something else because it's also your paycheck. They are ruining their own ability to enjoy the game, possibly permanently, by playing it to death and mostly in a barely-functional state, so that it can become better for the end users. Now that, my friends, is a labor of love, not just for the game itself but also the players.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

When mostly working in lua, the most interesting you get to see is really this...

Meaning you screwed up somewhere and your code throw an exception. :p

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 7
  3. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as this update is taking so long, I have a feeling it's gonna be very good. Maybe even button sounds throughout the game, not just on the main menu. We might also have a faster UI. I feel like this update it gonna be those updates which add a lot of little things that make life easier.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

UI has some fixes, damage app was doing something to slow down UI, but looks like it is sorted out in coming update:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/low-fps-speedometer.38006/

I wonder if some reports of slow UI are actually caused by some bugs in some apps, turning apps off one by one such might be possible to find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mcajsnk

mcajsnk
    Expand Collapse

Now we can start making some crazy speculatoins about update, because there is difference between "week++" and "++week". :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BallisticDK

BallisticDK
    Expand Collapse

Well, i cant see if you're trying to make a funny so, i'm gonna be that guy.

int i = 1, j = 1;
    i = ++j;
    output : i = 2, j = 2

int i = 1, j = 1;
    i = j++;
    output : i = 1, j = 2

j++
    sets then increments / increments after the operation

++j
    incements then sets / increments before the operation

• Like Like x 1
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think it is +++++ that devs keep communicating with community even community must get on their nerves :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

And this is why qa is around. You test code to make sure it works and doesn't throw any errors. For my work i automate this. Which is basically running a bot which is made so there isn't and human errors while testing every function to make sure it works properly and doesn't crash etc. I'm a qa tester for apps, not games. So it might be a little different but it's basically the same procedure. When it throws a error, the release will probably be set back a week or so while you figure out what went wrong.

I give it to the devs for this.. Taking the time to make sure everything works properly and not rushing the update and potentially having more bugs than before.

Give them the time they need and keep this thread to the speculation of the update. That's what it is and that's what it should be. They'll let you know when it is coming out.

#4468 Sparks4, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

Every day that the update is pushed back is another day they have to work on WCU. I wonder what will happen if it's not ready by the time the update is. Will they release it in an almost finished state, or will they wait until it is ready to release it? If they do wait until it's finished, will it be pushed back 2+ months to release with whatever is after 0.8.1, or will they do something highly uncharacteristic and release it on it's own, without any other changes to the game?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. DOUGL4S1

DOUGL4S1
    Expand Collapse

I don't think WCUSA will be ready any time soon, or at least in time for this update. Sure, parts of the city look very finished, but other parts of the map, like the coast itself appear very barebone and maybe still on the planning. And then they need to program the AI to drive there, make scenarios and maybe campaigns, etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Hang on, what tdev said has me confused. He said the next update is 8.1, which has to translate into 0.8.0.1, but the version of BeamNG I'm currently using has 0.8.0.1 in its version name, with a bunch of numbers to go with it. What does this mean? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  12. DOUGL4S1

DOUGL4S1
    Expand Collapse

I think he meant 0.8.1.0

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Toron Beldevar

Toron Beldevar
    Expand Collapse

Looks like this update will be a nice birthday present then. :oops:

OT: Not sure if this was mentioned already, but West Coast USA is now in the English source at i18n, maybe it will be released with the update after all?

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

We'll see. Judging by everyone else's statements, WCA does sound like a potential candidate. I'm still skeptical about my computer being able to handle it though.

Thankfully, I can wait a bit longer. I really do hope this update is worth it, because I believe it's one of the longest waits we've had with an update so far. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Giraffinator

Giraffinator
    Expand Collapse

I hope so. The map looks so awesome and fun to drive in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. j2305432

j2305432
    Expand Collapse

Nice found. Full map info says this:

Map description: "The western coast of the USA. Representative of various locations in California"
    Biome: "coastal, urban, semi-arid"
    Roads: "90% paved roads, 10% racetrack"
    Suitable for: "drag races, police chases"
    Features: "Belasco City, seaside cliff roads, redwood forest roads, overpasses, racetrack"
    + 5 spawnpoints: "Industrial Area", "Chintown (DFKI)", "Redwood forest (DFKI)", "Highway", "Race Track"

EDIT: there's also mentioned new ECU scenario called "Dirt Hopper" which is "A short course for your Hopper"

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. DOUGL4S1

DOUGL4S1
    Expand Collapse

There's another on Small Island called "Hopping Around", it will probably have the Hopper because of the name. The desc. just says "Cross the island by finding your way through the checkpoints"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Also this is interesting:

- "vehicle.bullettime.change": "{{slowmoTimes}} times slower than realtime", - removed
    + "vehicle.bullettime.changeSlow": "{{slowmoTimes}} times slower than realtime", - added
    + "vehicle.bullettime.changeFast": "{{speed}} times faster than realtime", - added

Possibility to run game in "fast-motion"?

+ "scenarios.east_coast_usa.east_coast_chase_4.description":"Stop a 'BeamCom' van",

"BeamCom" - a new brand?

Anyway default spawn point on Utah is on parking of AJ AUTO REPAIRS, considering that we see "Anna - the mechanic" (http://blog.beamng.com/blog/page/3/) here on Utah in campaign mode too it's probably her service and "AJ" are first letters of her first and last names, maybe Anna Jackson? :D
    1.png
    Also found a bug, exactly next to the stairs there's a hole in map, so car fall through texture like on above screnshot. (+bad reflections on window)

According to work on emergency lights I'm curious why there isn't yet started work on that simple, yet amazing detail in BeamNG like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTip...f_your_turn_signal_is_blinking_twice_as_fast/
    So when for example a front blinker is broken, then side and rear blinkers will "work" way faster. Should be pretty easy to do, and it's one of this details that would make BeamNG even more unique.

Btw. TBH I'm a little bit dissapointed that there wasn't any april fools joke from BeamNG dev team, I understand they are busy, and that it would require a bit of very important time, but I'd rather wait 1hr more for a update and would love to see i.ex. Red I-series with Hopper badges and wheels from NDX1 wheel pack called Ibishu Hopper or just anything else ;)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

If it's what I am thinking of...

• Like Like x 2
  20. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

ok, enough posting nonsense now

EDIT: improved my wording

#4480 tdev, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 60
    • Like Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice